Using a part of Lymm Heritage Trail, this circular walk will take you around Lymm Dam. It was created in 1824 by a dam built during the construction of what is now the A56 road.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Use car park in Pepper Street.
(D/A) The walk starts by turning left at the junction with The Cross. Walk on The Cross and turn left in the path called The Dingle when you see the Spread Eagle Hotel.
(1) Cross the road and rejoin the heritage trail.
(2) Take the path going slightly on the left and left again a few meters later. Once you have crossed the Wishing Bridge, turn left.
(3) Turn left and keep left to walk along the dam. A the end of the path, turn right and walk along Church Road until you face Rectory Lane. Cross carefully Church Road and turn right between the two white houses.
(4) Keep going straight in Longbutt Lane. Cross carefully Scholars Green Lane two times. At the next intersection, leave Longbutt Lane by turning left. Then turn left in Oughtrington Lane.
(5) Just after the bridge, take a sharp left to join the path along Bridgewater Canal.
(6) A few meter before the bridge, the path splits. Take the path on your right to join The Cross and cross the bridge. Keep walking on the road side and turn left at the next intersection to join Pepper Street (D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 102ft - Pepper Street car park - Pepper Street car park
1 : mi 0.29 - alt. 135ft - Stairs to The Cross
2 : mi 0.61 - alt. 148ft
3 : mi 0.98 - alt. 148ft
4 : mi 1.58 - alt. 157ft
5 : mi 2.32 - alt. 98ft
6 : mi 3.17 - alt. 92ft
D/A : mi 3.27 - alt. 95ft - Pepper Street car park - Pepper Street car park
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Global average : 4/5
Number of opinions : 1
Description quality : 4/5
Routemap quality : 4/5
Walk interest : 4/5
Global average : 4 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Good
Routemap quality : Good
Walk interest : Good
The walk was very muddy, but picturesque and easy to navigate.
The walk starts from the car park on Slag Lane and follows a clockwise circular route around Pennington Flash.
The walk starts from Pennington Flash car park and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Golborne Park and Lowton.
The walk starts from Bickershaw and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Amberswood, Low Hall and Victoria Fields.
The walk starts at Abram by Kingdown Flash (01Start) and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Bickershaw Park and Fan Lodge ponds.
Walk starts from Viridor Wood car park and follows anti clockwise circularroute via Viridor Wood and Three Sisters Park.
The walk starts opposite Cowburn St Hindley and follows anti-clockwise circular route around Westhoughton Common.
Circular walk starting from Wigan Flashes and including Bryn Gates Lane, Viridor Wood and canal towpath.
The walk starts from Mill Lane in Hindley and follows the clockwise circular route via Borsdane Wood and Westhoughton Common.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.