A town walk, looking at some of the interesting architectural and historical features.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the lion sculpture at Egypt point, follow the esplanade with the sea on your left. Pass Rosetta Cottage where Randolph Churchill met and proposed to his wife, Jennie Jerome, at Cowes week 1883 - Winston Churchill was born in November 1884.
(1) Pass left of Princes Green and after an information board, pass to the left of the Royal Yacht Squadron. This was originally a castle built by Henry VIII in 1539. It was rebuilt in 1850's by Anthony Salvin. Continue on to The Parade - keep to the left and pass a Chinese restaurant.
(2) Turn right into Watchhouse Lane and pass The Union Pub (a walker friendly pub). Turn left into High Street. Pass the Sir Max Aitken Museum (Max Aitken was the son of Lord Beaverbrook) - contains nautical memorabilia in a sail loft. Continue along the High Street. The number of Edwardian facades reflects the heyday of royal yachting. Continue up Shooters Hill- see Jolliffe's art deco shop - originally a shoe shop. Uo on to Birmingham Road with Alexander House and a fine Methodist Chapel. Here turn around and pass Beken's photographie shop- by royal appointment.
(3) Retrace your steps down Shooter's Hill and go left into Cross Street near a car park and by the Painters Arms pub. Turn left into St Mary's Road. Pass a green area on the left with a closed tunnel, which was the route of the railway. At the road junction, turn right into Victoria Road by Cowes Baptist Church. Go to the top of the bill and turn right onto Park Road.
(4) Turn left into Ward Avenue. Cross to the right of the road and follow the grassed area half right to Northwood House, built by the Ward family. Pass an ice house and war memorial damaged in the Second World War. Pass to the right of St Mary's Church, the tower was designed by John Nash. Follow the perimeter of the church to reach its entrance in Church Road. The lodge, by the church on the left, was also built by John Nash.
Go right, down Church Road and turn left into Union Road with its masonic hall of 1846. Keep right into Sun Hill passing Sun Hill House. This part of Old Cowes has some interesting and pleasant architecture. No 32 is the Foresters' Friendly Society 1865.
(5) At the bottom of the hill, turn left into High Street. Herc there is a fine late Georgian façade, and a eustoms warehouse (now Quba sails). Turn left up Market Hill. Here, on the right, there are almshouses, Ward's Cottages, for retired servants from Northwood House. Also, further on the right are Macnamara almshouses of 1881.
Turn right into Castle Road to a junction by an archway. Take the track, Trinity Church Lane and just after the church turn right down some steps. Turn left along Queen's Road which reio111s the esplanade. Continue to your starting point. (D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 10ft - Lion sculpture
1 : mi 0.51 - alt. 10ft - Royal Yacht Squadron
2 : mi 0.72 - alt. 7ft - Watchhouse Lane
3 : mi 1.12 - alt. 23ft - Methodist Chapel
4 : mi 1.6 - alt. 102ft - Ward Avenue
5 : mi 2.06 - alt. 16ft - High Street
D/A : mi 2.91 - alt. 10ft - Lion sculpture
Start: Egypt Point. Car parking (free) along Egypt Hill or in bays along the seafront at Queens Road (pay in season) Access Information: Mainly pavement walking, some bills.
Refreshments: Pubs, hotels and cafes in and around Cowes.
Toilets: Public toilets by Princes Green (in season only).
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
This is a linear walk from Whippingham to Newport county town of the Isle of Wight. The return journey to Whippingham can be made on the number 5 bus which leaves from the bus station in Newport. The walk explores St. Mildred's Church at Whippingham and then follows the River Medina south to Newport.
This walk is great for families with young children, starting from Fawley town centre and following a pretty country lane with views over Southampton Water to the small and historic inlet of Ashlett Creek. It then passes the Jolly Sailor pub and 19th century tidal mill before following the coast through a contrasting landscape of industry and wildlife.
Situated on the southern edge of the New Forest and a mile from the Solent coast, Exbury is a peaceful and beautiful village with a fascinating history and important war time links to Lepe and the build up to D-Day. The walk starts at the famous Exbury Gardens then takes you along field and woodland paths to Lepe for spectacular views across the Solent. returning inland through farms and woodland to Exbury village.
A countryside walk from the village to Littletown and the Steam Railway.
A walk starting in Newport, along a new riverside path, by a marina and then through woods and open countryside before returning to the urban setting.
Starting in the heart of Newport, you'll soon emerge into the countryside surrounding the town, crossing open fields on the approach to Carisbrooke Castle.
Walk or Cycle from Warsash to Swanwick along the length of the Hamble river
A walk alongside a river, an estuary at a National Nature Reserve, farmland and a wood
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.