Circular walkleaving Billinge by Garswood Rd, crossing Barton Clough on route to Chair Wood and then via Longshaw to top of Billinge Hill before descending back to Billinge. Excellent views over Merseyside, Pennines, Welsh and Cheshire hills from the highest point in Merseyside.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Take footpath east at end of Garswood Road.
(1) Take footpath north (left). Carefully cross Newton Road taking pedestrian path east (right) beside the road.
(2) Leave Billinge Road by taking the footpath north (left) and follow it around the field boundary. The path makes its way west (left) through wood and then heads north. Leave the wood footbridge and follow the path as it curves north around the field boundary.
(3) Cross rust colored brook via a stile and take path northwest (left) along the field boundary.
(4) Before carefully crossing Wigan Road, admire the view of Manchester behind you, then take footpath initially beside Chair Wood then north (right) through Chair Wood. Cross Park Road to pick up the path heading north along the field boundary. Turn west (left) on a substantial track and continue on it as it turns north (right). Turn west (left) to take the path over the footbridge then alongside the wood. Carefully cross Upholland road and head briefly south (left).
(5) Leave Upholland Road via footpath heading west (right) between houses. Enter Coppice Wood via the metal gate and turn immediately northwest (right) to follow the path around the edge of the wood.
(6) Take a substantial path south (left) through Coppice Wood to Billinge Hill. Take time to admire the views then carefully descend Billinge Hill south in direction of the power station to the tarmac road, turn west (right) along the tarmac road.
(7) Continue south on tarmac track downslope beside the golf course. Pass through the metal gate by Crookhurst farm to continue on tarmac downhill.
(8) Carefully cross Rainford Road and turn southeast (left) taking the road back to Billinge.
(9) Follow Rainford Road as it turns north (left) through village. Turn east (right) down Garswood Road back to start.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 322ft - Garswood Road
1 : mi 0.49 - alt. 305ft - Bluebell
2 : mi 1.22 - alt. 338ft - Billinge Road
3 : mi 2 - alt. 335ft - Rusty Brook
4 : mi 2.48 - alt. 413ft - Wigan Road
5 : mi 3.97 - alt. 413ft - Downham
6 : mi 4.31 - alt. 509ft - Trevelyan
7 : mi 4.88 - alt. 505ft - Houghwood Golf
8 : mi 5.61 - alt. 279ft - Rainford Road
9 : mi 5.98 - alt. 292ft - Spar Corner
D/A : mi 6.3 - alt. 322ft - Garswood Road
Parking at start.
Refreshments Billinge and Longshaw.
More info : www.graemelinford.com/walks/billinge.html
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Extensive views of Merseyside, Pennines, Cheshire and Welsh hills.
6m circular walk starting from the base of Billinge Hill and ascending it to enjoy views from the highest point in Merseyside. The descent passes through woodland on route to Orrell Waterpark. The return route follows the west flank of Billinge Hill with more great views over Welsh and Cheshire hills back to start.
5m circular route crossing Carr Mill via causeway onto a rising farmland section leading to Newton Rd. Extensive views over Mersey Plain, Manchester and Cheshire Heights from this midway point. Return route is via open farmland leading to woodland section back to lakeside.
Starting from Orrell Waterpark then follows lower slopes of Billinge Hill before ascending to Winstanley College and back to the waterpark. Good views over Mersey, Winter Hill and Cheshire hills.
Circular walk starting from Wigan Flashes and including Bryn Gates Lane, Viridor Wood and canal towpath.
More details : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/bryn_...
Walk starts from Viridor Wood car park and follows anti clockwise circularroute via Viridor Wood and Three Sisters Park.
More details : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/bamfu...
Route initially along Rainford Linear Park before heading over open countryside back to start.
The walk starts at Westwood Road Wigan in order to join the canal and head south. On leaving the canal the route passes through Wigan Flashes and Turners Flash before heading back to start.
More detaiils : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/wigan...
Starting from Sidling Lane Nature Reserve travelling along the edge of the reserve before crossing the railway line to continue over open farmland and country lanes to re-enter via the woodland section of the reserve.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.