Walk from Rookley Post office back to Rookley Main Road via Birchmore Lane. The Walk on the map actually starts and returns to Oakdene.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Leave Oakdene, turn right. Pass Rookley Post Office and continue until the signpost (A37).
(1) Turn right and walk down the path with the hedge on your right.
(2) At the junction with Birchmore Lane, turn right (A36). At the junction with A34, carry straight on keeping on A36. Follow this path (which is frequently waterlogged) until a junction with A33 at the point.
(3) Turn right and diagonally across the field, walking towards the farm buildings.
(4) Turn left here and then turn right and take the farm track between the farmhouse and the farm buildings. Follow this path until a wide gap into an open field (point 5). Walk up this field and turn left at the top. This is the boundary of Rookley Country Park. Walk down the path with the trees on your right until you reach the main road.
(5) Turn right and walk back to Oakdene.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 184ft - Oakdene
1 : mi 0.14 - alt. 184ft - Turn RIGHT. SIGN A37
2 : mi 1.02 - alt. 75ft - Junction with Birchmore Lane. Turn RIGHT
3 : mi 1.72 - alt. 82ft - Junction with A33. Turn RIGHT
4 : mi 1.99 - alt. 131ft - Pagham Farm. Walk between farmhouse and barns.
5 : mi 2.43 - alt. 180ft - Main Road Rookley. Turn RIGHT
D/A : mi 2.89 - alt. 184ft - Oakdene
This path can get very muddy. You can divert along the cycle path by turning left at point (1) and re-join through a gap and bridge and taking A33 until point (2).
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
This is a popular route for dog walkers.
Global average : 3.67/5
Number of opinions : 1
Description quality : 4/5
Routemap quality : 4/5
Walk interest : 3/5
Global average : 3.67 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Good
Routemap quality : Good
Walk interest : Average
Would have been useful if "Oakdene" the start of the walk, said it was a house on the same side of the road as the post office .
Great walk around the Chequers Inn where you can stop for refreshment after the effort.
Mostly on bridleways with some long but gentle gradients.
This recommended walk of about 9 miles will take you over the river Medina, up and over Ramsdown to Chillerton village. Then north to Gatcombe to start the climb onto Newbarn Down and Chillerton Down with panoramic views across the island. Passing close to the TV mast you descend through the old marl pits and return via the water meadows of the wilderness.
A walk across farmland and by historic Haseley Manor, one of the oldest houses on the Island.
Starting in the heart of Newport, you'll soon emerge into the countryside surrounding the town, crossing open fields on the approach to Carisbrooke Castle.
A walk starting in Newport, along a new riverside path, by a marina and then through woods and open countryside before returning to the urban setting.
A walk along bridleways, a ridgeway and open countryside.
A great pub walk from the White Horse in Whitwell.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.