This walk takes you through the stunning heathland of South West Surrey.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From Visitor Centre turn right with lake on left. Skirt edge of car park and continue on path around lake.
(1) At road turn left then left again past frontage of Frensham Pond Hotel and continue along Pond Lane. Turn right along bridleway, ignore first path on left and continue ahead. At fork bear left by waymark post, uphill on narrow sunken track. Join drive and follow to road. Continue ahead along road past Simmondstone Lane.
(2) Bear right down bridleway. Pass house on left and continue along track. Cross bridge over stream and continue up path ahead. Join track and follow to road. Turn left down road then right along lane. Bear right down bridleway past Barford Mill. At the bend continue ahead along path. At road continue ahead along Whitmore Vale Road. Turn left on footpath uphill opposite ‘Woodland View’. Go through kissing gate then left along path. At fork keep right passing benches on left. Look out for gate about 10m uphill to left before end of open heathland area. Turn left along path to go through kissing gate and proceed along path between fences.
(3) Cross road and take footpath opposite across golf course. Cross tarmac road at metal way-mark and turn right following footpath down hill across fairway. Continue uphill along footpath and ahead past plantation on right and downhill through kissing gate.
(4) Turn right along road then after house turn left down Old Barn Lane passing apple orchards on right. At T-junction turn right down road. At road junction turn left.
(5) Turn left past Bel and The Dragon. Turn right along path between green wooden fences and continue up hill. At fork (by firebeater stand) bear left and proceed to top of hill. From top of Stoney Jump face Axe Pond, taking stepped path down hill. At cross tracks turn left and continue along track between woodland edge and open common land following short blue bridleway marker posts, then through woodland and eventually past properties to Crosswater Lane.
(6) Turn right here and walk along lane. At cross tracks turn right then immediately left on path up hill. Pass tumulus on left then turn left taking path downhill towards Great Pond. Cross road with care to bus stop. Bear left then go right between fences. Follow sandy path back to Visitor Centre. (D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 217ft - Visitor Centre
1 : mi 0.38 - alt. 223ft - Bacon Lane
2 : mi 1.41 - alt. 272ft - Simmondstone Lane
3 : mi 3.21 - alt. 541ft - Churt Road
4 : mi 4.02 - alt. 476ft - Green Lane
5 : mi 5.13 - alt. 302ft - The Bel and The Dragon
6 : mi 6.49 - alt. 236ft - Crosswater Lane
D/A : mi 7.85 - alt. 217ft - Visitor Centre
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Starting and finishing at Haslemere, Surrey, the main objective, Black Down, lies in nearby West Sussex. Black Down is the highest point in West Sussex rising to 917 feet above sea level. The walk passes through a variety of landscape and offers some suggestions for alternative routes.
This Surrey walk combines two well know local landmarks in a circular walk. The route starts from Haslemere and climbs onto Gibbet Hill before continuing to take in the Devil's Punchbowl, which is a depression of sandy heath.
A walk with two high sections and a bracing climb in the middle!
A 23km tour of the hills to the south of Haslemere, with woodland, views and Shulbrede Priory, taking in elements of the Serpent Trail, Sussex Border Path and LipChis Way.
A lovely flat walk through some historical countryside taking in canals and farmland.
This short leisurely Hampshire walk explores the Dogmersfield Estate and the Basingstoke Canal. Perfect for an afternoon stroll after Sunday lunch.
A leisurely Hampshire walk that explores the Dogmersfield Estate and the Basingstoke Canal. This longer version explores some of the countryside in the vicinity too.
Gently undulating circular walk across fields and through woodlands, passing by Leather Bottle PH in Mattingley
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.