Mixed road and moorland walk taking in beautiful ancient oak woodland and high moorland views.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Starting at Cornwood Village Square walk eastward past Village Store. Continue on the lane to cross Vicarage Bridge.
(1) Take the road on left immediately after the bridge, signposted 'Yeo' to T junction. Turn left crossing another stone bridge. Continue uphill until the road turns to the left.
(2) Instead of turning left, take the permissive path on right to High Hele Farm. Continue on lane past farm to a wooden gate at the entrance to Dendles Wood.
(3) Follow the main path through woods (you can detour onto a circular walk through woods here - see route sign by the gate). Follow the path as it climbs quite steeply. Pass through double wooden gates. Continue on old cart track over open moorland (Dendles Waste) to gate at end of the track.
(4) Pass through the gate and turn left. Follow the wall on left.
(5) At end of the wall turn left to cross High House Waste heading south. At the edge of the moor look for break in the wall with a rocky path leading off the moor to East Rook Gate.
(6) Pass through East Rook Gate and continue on a rocky path until it meets a tarmacked lane (Rook Lane). Continue downhill on the lane (keeping right if in doubt).
(7) At T-junction at bottom of Rook Lane turn right and retrace steps to Cornwood village.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 410ft - Cornwood Village Square
1 : mi 0.7 - alt. 390ft - Bridge
2 : mi 1.2 - alt. 495ft - Hele Cross
3 : mi 1.7 - alt. 600ft - Broadall Lake
4 : mi 2.92 - alt. 1122ft - Gate
5 : mi 3.92 - alt. 1365ft - Penn Beacon
6 : mi 4.82 - alt. 853ft - East Rook Gate
7 : mi 5.92 - alt. 446ft - Rook Lane
D/A : mi 6.18 - alt. 410ft - Cornwood Village Square
Park in Cornwood in Cornwood Inn Car Perk or Village Car Park behind School
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
A circular walk, some on roads, crossing Hangar Down.
Circular walk from Cornwood, some on roads, skirting the Western edge of Hangar Down.
Varied walk including ancient forest, a Quarry lake and open moorland. Fabulous views across to Plymouth Sound.
Walk across high moor above River Erme passing ancient oak woodland of Piles Copse.
Amazing views over the China clay works, mica pits, and views across to Plymouth sound in one direction and moorland in the other.
Stage 3 takes us right into the Dartmoor National Park and is where the original Two Moors Way starts. Once out of Ivybridge, past the old Stowford Paper Mill and out onto the moors, you really feel that you're on a long-distance trail. Look out for the MW signs as you work your way across the tops, through Scorriton to reach Holne.
A circular walk on Dartmoor, taking in the Avon Dam and its reservoir and part of the Two Moors Way.
The Devon village of Yelverton is the start and end point for this walk that includes a circuit of the Burrator Reservoir. The route includes some typical country lanes of the area and views to some of Dartmoor's Tors.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.