Starting in the heart of Newport, you'll soon emerge into the countryside surrounding the town, crossing open fields on the approach to Carisbrooke Castle.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Start at Newport Bus Station. With the Bus Information office behind you, turn left and left again into South Street. Turn right towards St. James' Square. Turn left into Pyle Street. Take a turn right along Castlehold Lane, cross the High Street and carry on into an alleyway called Post Office Lane. Turn left into Lugley Street. At the Travelodge, tum right and follow the footpath to the side of Sainsbury's.
(1) Take N221 Petticoat Lane leftwards. A little way along the road turn right at a sign Private Vehicle Access to Gatehouse Cottage. You can then continue on N221 by turning left. When the footpath turns right at N47, continue on along a track by a gate. Pass houses and a road to a kissing gate and into a field with houses on the left. At the far side of the field pass through another kissing gate. Follow the path, now with chestnut fencing on the right. Go through a gate and follow the path with a hedge on the right. Pass through a hedge gap and over a wooden footbridge. Follow the left hand side of a field with a hedge on the left. Go through another hedge gap and follow the right band path into a field. Follow the left hand side of this field with a hedge on the left. Go through another hedge gap and along the path with a small brook on the left.
(2) By houses and at the road, tum left at footpath sign N57 into Gunville Road. Tum right into Ash Lane. At the road end, go over a stile. Cross the field veering left. At the corner of the field, turn left over a stile at N151.
(3) Follow field edge and track up to Alvington Manor Farm. Go left onto a track which emerges onto a road with houses and allotments. Follow this to the main road on a hill.
(4) Turn left and then right into Nodgham Lane. Follow this quiet lane to the main road overlooking the castle). Cross the main road into Clatterford Shute. Follow this lane to cross two fords with footbridges and at a T-junction with a grass triangular island, turn left onto Froglands Lane.
(5) When you reach the main road, turn left, and opposite Carisbrooke Priory car park, tum right into Nunnery Lane, passing to the right of the priory. Tum left onto footpath N26, towards Mount Joy.
(6) At T-junction of paths, turn right and follow the path around the edge of the cemetery. Follow the fenced path through fields towards Newport. The path emerges at a track - turn right to reach a road.
(7) Turn left and then right opposite the Tack Shop. Pass Elm Park barrier gate and turn right along the road. Turn left onto a tarmac footpath following the edge of the sports field. Continue past Nine Acres Primary School and on along the road, East View.
(8) Continue into West Street. Turn right into Cross Street. Turn left into New Street. Turn right along Scarrots Lane at the side of New Street car park, past a bakery to arrive back near where you began. The bus station is then half right.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 43ft - Newport Bus Station
1 : mi 0.43 - alt. 39ft - Petticoat Lane
2 : mi 1.42 - alt. 66ft - Gunville Road
3 : mi 1.68 - alt. 75ft - Field edge
4 : mi 2.51 - alt. 157ft - Nodgham Lane
5 : mi 3.52 - alt. 177ft - Whitcombe Road
6 : mi 3.98 - alt. 233ft - T-junction of paths
7 : mi 4.45 - alt. 131ft - Whitpit Lane
8 : mi 4.83 - alt. 56ft - West Street
D/A : mi 5.17 - alt. 43ft - Newport Bus Station
Access information : This is a mainly gentle walk, but hilly near the castle. Some of the walks is along lanes and, whilst most of these are fairly quiet, it is best to walk on the right - facing traffic - and in single file. There are several stiles to cross.
Refreshments : A wide range of cafés pubs and restaurants in town. Ramblers' Walker Friendly pubs include The Castle Inn in Newport and The Waverley and The Eight Bells in Carisbrooke.
Toilets : In Newport Bus Station and in Carisbrooke High Street.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
A walk starting in Newport, along a new riverside path, by a marina and then through woods and open countryside before returning to the urban setting.
A walk across farmland and by historic Haseley Manor, one of the oldest houses on the Island.
This is a linear walk from Whippingham to Newport county town of the Isle of Wight. The return journey to Whippingham can be made on the number 5 bus which leaves from the bus station in Newport. The walk explores St. Mildred's Church at Whippingham and then follows the River Medina south to Newport.
Walk from Rookley Post office back to Rookley Main Road via Birchmore Lane. The Walk on the map actually starts and returns to Oakdene.
A countryside walk from the village to Littletown and the Steam Railway.
Great walk around the Chequers Inn where you can stop for refreshment after the effort.
Mostly on bridleways with some long but gentle gradients.
This recommended walk of about 9 miles will take you over the river Medina, up and over Ramsdown to Chillerton village. Then north to Gatcombe to start the climb onto Newbarn Down and Chillerton Down with panoramic views across the island. Passing close to the TV mast you descend through the old marl pits and return via the water meadows of the wilderness.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.