Lovely circular walk along the River Aire from Ferrybridge.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Start at the Ferrybridge Community Centre.
(D/A) Walk past the Memorial towards the main road. Cross the main road, walk past the Golden Lion Pub and continue up the slight hill to the old stone bridge.
(1) Walk over the old stone bridge designed by John Carr. Turn left and bear left and walk down the riverside green path and keep left until the path swings away from the river.
(2) Follow the path between two pylons and exit the field through a gate onto Low St. Keep left and walk up a gentle hill to Brotherton Church. Opposite the church gate, cross the road and walk ahead on a tarmac path past the War Memorial and through the graveyard. Cross over two footbridges (railway and A1 road) and cross the main road.
(3) Walk into Sutton Lane. Continue to the end of the houses. Turn right at the public footpath sign and follow a narrow downhill footpath at the side of the houses.
(4) Continue to cross open fields, over the Marsh Drainage Ditch and across a wooden bridge. Turn right and walk diagonally across the field.
(5) Walk under the Viaduct and over the old stone bridge back to the start point.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 43ft - Ferrybridge Community Centre
1 : mi 0.23 - alt. 52ft - Old stone bridge
2 : mi 0.48 - alt. 49ft - Two pylons
3 : mi 1.31 - alt. 79ft - Sutton Lane
4 : mi 1.78 - alt. 56ft - Open fields
5 : mi 2.2 - alt. 43ft - Viaduct
D/A : mi 2.51 - alt. 43ft - Ferrybridge Community Centre
A moderately difficult walk, mainly on good all-weather footpaths together with some field walking. Climbing stiles is involved. Take care where the path passes close to the river.
Refreshments and toilets at the Golden Lion Pub. Refreshments at the Bap and Bean Sandwich Bar.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Pottery Lane is the site of the former Knottingley Pottery Factory.
The Old Stone Bridge and Toll Bridge House are interesting features of the area.
A short circular walk along River Aire and through open fields.
A nice and easy circular walk around Airedale Square.
The ideal route to do your 30 minutes of walks by day.
From Pontefract to Thorpe Audlin using mostly the Wakefield Way.
An easy linear walk from Castleford Bus Station to Pontefract Bus Station.
Lovely walk from Purston Park to Castle Syke Hill.
A short and easy circular walk around Featherstone Library.
A short walk around a playing field in Featherstone.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.