The Pass of Killiecrankie and Faskally Forest are two of the best places in Scotland to enjoy a stunning display of autumn colours and this circular route takes you through both! Starting off with the Pass of Killiecrankie and the Soldier's Leap viewpoint, you will then head along single track roads and through the Linn of Tummel to reach Loch Faskally. On your way back you'll pass through the beautiful Faskally Forest before following the River Tummel and River Garry back to Killiecrankie.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Walk north-west from the car park at Killiecrankie Visitor Centre.Follow NTS signs for the Pass of Killiecrankie, going down some steps behind the Visitor Centre. You will soon reach a viewpoint.
(1) Just after crossing the railway line keep left (South) at a fork to go down some steps.
(2) At the bottom of the steps, at a path junction turn right (South West) to the Soldier's Leap viewpoint.
Head north from the viewpoint and turn left (North West) at a fork in the path to cross the railway line again and emerge onto B8079 just outside Killiecrankie Village.
(3) Cross the B8079 and continue straight ahead onto the driveway for the Killiecrankie Hotel. Almost immediately, turn left (West) onto a woodland path which runs parallel to the B8079 until reaching the Village Hall.
From the Village Hall continue North West along the pavement for 100m then turn left (South) onto a minor road, signposted "Killiecrankie Path, Garry Bridge".
(4) This road crosses the railway line then the River Garry before arriving at a fork. Keep left (West), continuing to follow "Killiecrankie Path, Garry Bridge" signage uphill on the Tenandry Road.
After passing Fonvuick, the road starts to descend and 1.2km down the hill you will emerge onto the B8019.
(5) Turn left (North East) to pass the Garry Bridge Car Park then go down a set of steps beside the road bridge. An information board a the bottom of the steps welcomes you to the Linn of Tummel.
Turn left (North) at the bottom of the steps and after approx 100m turn right (South) onto a path along the River Garry (path not shown on the map). Signage now says "Killiecrankie Path, Pitlochry". The river should be on your left-hand side.
Follow this trail along the River Garry for 1.2km, keeping left at any forks to stay as close to the river as you can most of the way along.
(6) The path starts to come away from the river and leads down to the banks of the River Tummel. You have the option of a short de-tour along to some rapids by crossing the footbridge and following the river upstream for 50m, returning via the same route.
Head north back along the same path for approx 30m then turn left (West) along a narrow track which hugs a metal fence to begin with (path not shown on map) and takes you through the woods with the River Tummel on your left-hand side.
(7) Soon after going through a gate in a deer fence, you will arrive at a large suspension bridge. Cross the bridge then turn left (South East) to reach a single track road.
Turn left (East) and walk along the road for 3.5km, passing the Clunie Arch and Power Station en route.
(8) Just before the road goes beneath the A9, turn left (North), signposted "Killiecrankie Path, Garry Bridge" and "Bealach Path".
Cross the footbridge over the River Tummel and at the other side turn left (West). The river should now be on your left-hand side. You will pass the former site of the Clunie Bridge and then cross a small wooden footbridge.
(9) 40m beyond the wooden footbridge, turn right (North) to go up some steps.
(10) Keep left at two forks 60m along from the top of the steps.
(11) A further 130m along, keep left at another fork. Follow signs for "Bealach Path, Killiecrankie"
(12) At another fork a short 40m along, keep right.
(13) 280m further along you will reach a section with 2 paths on your left in close proximity to each other. Take the first one (South), heading towards the southern tip of Loch Dunmore.
Cross a bridge on your right after 60m, and continue to follow the path along the edge of the loch for 240m. The loch should be on your right-hand side.
(14) Cross Loch Dunmore via a large footbridge on your right (North East) then turn left (North) to walk along the water's edge for another 180m.
Continue on to a single track road and turn left (North West) along the road for 730m. You soon have the River Tummel on your left-hand side.
(15) When you reach the Marine Scotland Freshwater Laboratory, turn left (South West) to come off the road and onto a woodland track (signposted "Bealach Path, Killiecrankie"). The water on your left as you walk along is once again the River Garry.
Follow the path along the River Garry for approx 2km to where the path passes beneath the B8019 road bridge.
(16) A further 280m along from here there is a fork where you should turn left (North).
The path now runs parallel to the railway line and gets really close to the viaduct. Just beyond the viaduct, at a fork (2) keep right (West) to go up some steps.
At the top of the steps (1) keep right (North East). This takes you over the railway line and back to the viewpoint you were at earlier.
At the bottom of some steps there is a fork. Both options take you back to the Visitor Centre. Turning right retraces your steps from the start: up the steps, across a bridge and up another set of steps. To avoid the steps keep left at the fork and turn right to walk along the roadside pavement until you arrive at Killiecrankie Visitor Centre (D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 479ft - Killiecrankie Visitor Centre, Pitlochry (PH16 5LG)
1 : mi 0.18 - alt. 404ft - Fork at top of steps
2 : mi 0.2 - alt. 400ft - Path junction at bottom of steps
3 : mi 0.36 - alt. 440ft - Left turn outside Killiecrankie Hotel
4 : mi 0.77 - alt. 433ft - Fork in road - keep left for Tenandry Road
5 : mi 2.26 - alt. 427ft - Steps at Garry Bridge Car Park
6 : mi 3.09 - alt. 364ft - River Tummel - detour to rapids
7 : mi 3.63 - alt. 417ft - Suspension bridge
8 : mi 5.91 - alt. 351ft - Left turn just before A9 road bridge
9 : mi 6.12 - alt. 358ft - Right turn to go up steps
10 : mi 6.19 - alt. 390ft - Two forks - keep left
11 : mi 6.28 - alt. 417ft - Fork - keep left for "Bealach Path"
12 : mi 6.3 - alt. 417ft - Fork - keep right
13 : mi 6.48 - alt. 400ft - Take first path on left
14 : mi 6.67 - alt. 387ft - Large footbridge
15 : mi 7.27 - alt. 315ft - Left turn at Marine Scotland Freshwater Laboratory
16 : mi 8.64 - alt. 394ft - Fork - keep left
D/A : mi 9.75 - alt. 492ft - Killiecrankie Visitor Centre, Pitlochry (PH16 5LG)
A mix of surfaced roads and woodland paths. There are a lot of steps on this route.
Toilet facilities and a cafe at Killiecrankie Visitor Centre
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
A lovely walk through coniferous and deciduous woodland and open pasture, on the way to Loch of the Lowes. Use the hides at the Scottish Wildlife Trust’s visitor centre to sneak a peek in season at overwintering geese, ducks including goldeneye and the striking, head shaking courtship of the great crested grebe. A camera provides live and recorded images of the famous osprey nest in season and other local wildlife.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.