A circuit that forms a figure of 8 around Lac Chambon, with panoramic views of the lake and the Sancy range, the Valley of Chaudefour and a section through Murol via its castle.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Start at the car park at the west beach of Lake Chambon
(1) Head along the West Beach and the lake closest to the south via a well laid out trail. Continue to the ‘’Plage Est'' and resume along the lake to the road.
(2) Cross the road and take the stairs (in the direction of La Dent du Marais). From this point you will be on the GR30 (follow the Red and White markings to Murol’s castle). To do this, go straight on a paved road and continue straight on the road when it turns left.
Follow this path keeping right (three forks over 100 m) then continue up (eastbound) for about 500 m before the route turns left headed due north.
(3) At this point (Rocker de l’Horloge) enjoy the view. After 200 m the path is located above the ledge from which you can admire the lake, the Dent du Marais and a wide view of the Sancy. Continue keeping to the right when it deviates from a wider path. It leads to the D5; cross it to reach the car park of Murol’s car park below. Enthusiasts will enjoy visiting the castle.
(4) Down to the village of Murol by Rue du Château. In passing, on left at the gate of Prélong park you are invited to explore the space occupied by very large trees of many varieties (with information panels) including monstrous redwoods.
Reach the end of the park, leaving by the gate which leads to the road and back to the village.
Cross the bridge over the Couze Pavin and continue right through Rue George Sand. After 200 m, take the stairs on the left. Cross the road and continues uphill following the trail (a demanding section that we will take in reverse).
After 500 m, climb towards the summit of Tartaret (5) with a view of the lake and the Sancy opposite with the Dent du Marais on the right. Retrace your steps downhill for about 150 m to then take a wide path to the right that continues to a monumental stone (6) that you pass by on your right onto the road down to the lake.
You reach the lake on its east beach to return to the part of the route already taken leading to the road along the lake.
(7) This time you follow (for 500 m) the lake to return to the starting point.
Here, you will have travelled 12 km without much difficulty; the climbs are steady or equipped with stairs. Expect to be walking for 3 to 4 hours depending on your pace.
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 2881ft - Lac Chambon
1 : mi 1.89 - alt. 2884ft
2 : mi 2.79 - alt. 3284ft - Rocher de l'Horloge
3 : mi 4.32 - alt. 2910ft - Chateau de Murol
4 : mi 5.75 - alt. 3087ft - Le Tartaret
5 : mi 6.07 - alt. 2972ft - Commemorative stone
D/A : mi 7.32 - alt. 2877ft - Lac Chambon
12 km without much difficulty; the climbs are progressive or equipped with stairs.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2432ET, 2432ETR.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Nature trail exploring the ecosystem of Lake Chambon.
Visit Château de Murol.
Enjoy exploring the Prélong park in Murol.
Global average : 4/5
Number of opinions : 1
Description quality : 4/5
Routemap quality : 3/5
Walk interest : 5/5
Global average : 4 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Good
Routemap quality : Average
Walk interest : Very good
Lovely walk, lakeside and high up above the lake. Interesting visit to Murol Castle.
The very secretive and beautiful Chaudefour valley is a classified natural site, closed up by the steep contours of a glacial cirque. Peaks, needles, plumbs are as many natural defences for an intact and preserved valley.
A wander among the underbrush along the Couze Pavin, from bank to bank, flowing in cascades.
A Grand Tour of the beautiful and mysterious Lac Pavin, passing by the Puy de Montchal and the Creux de Soucy chasm.
A trip to highest point of the Massif Central.
A very beautiful hike in a conservation area.
A hiking trail in the Auvergne summer pastures, on a summit overlooking the spa resort of La Bourboule.
A short hike to climb two volcanoes with their typical open craters to delight amateur geologists and curious hikers. A beautiful view from the top of the Puy de Lassolas on over the Chaîne des Puys to the north and Monts Dore to the south.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.