A hike against the backdrop of Mont Ventoux and the Dentelles de Montmirail, taking you through the village of Barroux to admire the castle and the beautiful views of the valley. The walk then continues past Paty lake and chapel.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park in the village hall car park in Caromb.
(D/A) With your back to the car park, turn right onto Avenue Jean Moulin and then left onto Route de Beaumes de Venise (D21). Keep going for 400 m then take Chemin des Charettes to the right. Continue past the Chemin de Villeneuve on your right, and keep going until you reach a fork with the Chemin des Vayets.
(1) Stay on the Chemin des Charrettes, which forks off to the right. Continue until you reach the D13.
(2) Turn left along the road, taking care as the verge is not very wide. Shortly after, on your right, you will see the “Pré Fantasti”, a house in ruins, which legend says is haunted.
Continue along the road as far as the junction with the D938 (restaurant and potters opposite).
Turn left and cross the bridge over the Gourédon. Just after the bridge, turn right onto the road to the village of Barroux. Head towards the castle (via Chemin André de Richaud) and enjoy the views.
(3)Take Cours Louise Raymond on the right, then the first left (Rue des Ecoles). Continue uphill to Place de la Croix, then turn right along Rue de l'Eglise (paved). Go past the church to reach Place Philemont Piquet. Continue straight on past Impasse du Four and Rue de la Peratoure on your left, and then take the following lane, Chemin du Barry.
Follow the castle walls and bear right down the next road. At the next fork, ignore the lane to the porch on your left and continue to the Montée du Château. Turn left and then immediately right up the steps to the castle.
(4) Come back down the steps and then take the Montée du Château to the left, which leads to a view point with an information board. Continue on down to the left to reach Rue Marius Jouveau opposite the old hospital. Turn left onto this street which leads downhill. At the end of the cobblestones, continue straight on into Rue du Jubilé. On your left, after the fountain you will see a covered wash-trough. Keep going to n°65.
(5) Turn right to take the steps downhill, then cross the road to reach the Le Barroux footpath sign.
Red and Yellow Waymarks
(5) Follow the footpath straight on towards Malaucene - Le Rocher de Talon. Go down the steps to the D938. Turn right along the road, then cut across it to reach a path which starts at the parapet of the little bridge. Follow this path to the left alongside the stream.
Further on, ignore a path off to the left and begin to climb the trail until you reach the Rocher de Talon sign.
Turn right in the direction of Le Bois d’Hugues, and shortly after you will reach a large crossroads.
(6) At the sign for "Le Bois d'Hugues”, continue opposite, slightly to the right towards Lac du Paty - Font Mourèle, ignoring the wide paths off to the right and left.
The path is a little steep. Go past some vines, then the path heads back down to the signpost for Font Mourèle. Turn right towards Lac du Paty, go past the drive of a house and continue until you reach a crossing. Turn left on the track which joins a small road. Cut across it, continue alongside the car park, and follow the path to the lake.
(7) Turn left towards the amenities, continuing past the café and turn right over the footbridge. Just afterwards, take the footpath to the left. At the following crossing, ignore the two paths to the left and then at the next fork, turn right to climb up a steep, stoney path until you reach the signpost for la Madeleine.
(8) Turn left along the flat path towards Les Trois Termes, ignoring a path off to the left shortly after and continuing straight on despite the Yellow cross.
The path, which stays almost completely flat, takes you to a car park at the signpost for Les Trois Termes.
Red and Yellow Waymarks
(9) Turn right along the wide track towards Chapelle du Paty. At the signpost for the Aéropostale, follow the path to the left to reach the Chapelle du Paty. Leave the track to go and visit the chapel.
(10) After visiting the chapel, continue along the track to the left as far as the signpost. Continue straight on along this same track. Shortly after, on your left, there are two successive restored shepherd's huts. Continue downhill as far as the water reservoir. After a few hairpin bends, you will reach the D13 by the campsite.
(11) Turn left without crossing the road. At the roundabout, continue straight on down Avenue Charles de Gaulle, ignoring all the roads off to either side, until you reach the roundabout in the town centre. Turn right to return to Route de Beaumes de Venise and take the second left to the car park. (D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 640ft - Caromb village hall car park
1 : mi 0.54 - alt. 686ft - Bear right
2 : mi 1.23 - alt. 745ft - Left along the D13
3 : mi 1.91 - alt. 938ft - Right down Cours Louise Raymond
4 : mi 2.25 - alt. 1073ft - Château du Barroux
5 : mi 2.42 - alt. 1020ft - Take the steps to the right
6 : mi 3.17 - alt. 1220ft - Le Bois d'Hugues
7 : mi 4.02 - alt. 1004ft - Paty Lake
8 : mi 4.39 - alt. 1257ft - La Madeleine, turn left
9 : mi 5.27 - alt. 1483ft - Les Trois Termes, turn right
10 : mi 6.08 - alt. 1286ft - Chapelle du Paty
11 : mi 7.29 - alt. 725ft - Turn left along the D13
D/A : mi 8.18 - alt. 640ft - Caromb village hall car park
Much of the route is along tarmacked roads, which can be busy in places.
You can limit the tarmacked sections and shorten the route by 3 km if you park in the car park alongside the D13 between (2) and (10).
(8) It is possible to reach the Chapelle du Paty directly 100 m away by turning right.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Visit the village of Barroux and its castle.
Starting from Sainte-Madeleine Abbey at Barroux, this is quite a wild route offering many views over Mont Ventoux, the Dentelles de Montmirail and the surrounding plains.
A short loop to discover these two characteristic rock formations as well as Saint-Christophe's Chapel, which protects the site, taking a less conventional route.
A superb hike around the Dentelles de Montmirail.
This trek will take you through all sides of the Dentelles.
Take a walk between Mormoiron and Villes-sur-Auzon on the trails of old ochre quarries.
This hike on the southern slope of Mont Ventoux, narrow, wooded and always chilly, carved out by capricious waters, leads to a vast panoramic view.
Beautiful climb up the southern slopes of Mont Ventoux from the hamlet of Sainte Colombe 4 km from Bédoin.
A hike for everyone. You will find typical Mediterranean vegetation, protected flora and fauna. Equip yourself with good walking shoes and water. Respect nature and the silence (take your rubbish with you). Making fires, picking flowers and wild camping are strictly prohibited. Only follow the waymarking colours mentioned in the description.
A beautiful round trip leading to the summit and back along the crests.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.