Enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a 8.5 mile walk exploring the Louth Canal and nearby village of North Cockerington. Keep a watch for the darting blue of the kingfisher or the antics of the moorhens as they squabble amongst themselves.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
The route is marked with a boat logo.
(D/A) From Navigation Warehouse, where the River Lud enters the canal, follow the canal away from Louth town centre, cross the canal at the first weir, continuing along the towpath.
At Keddington Lock the remains of the original lock finally collapsed in 2018. It is expected a weir and riprap cascade will manage the water flow into the future. A footbridge leads across the field towards Keddington and St Margaret’s Church. St. Margaret’s Church dates from Norman times but is now sadly redundant. Members of the Ticklepenny family, who Ticklepenny Lock was named after, were farmers, lock keepers and toll collectors in the area, are buried in the churchyard.
(1) Continue along the towpath through a field where the River Lud runs on your right to Ticklepenny Lock.
Ticklepenny Lock is still in reasonable condition after having been repaired by the Louth Navigation Trust in 1996. There used to be a wooden swing bridge here, which has now been replaced by one made of concrete. In the early 1930s, a sheep wash was built alongside the lock and can this be seen amongst the trees on the left-hand side.
(2) Cross the road to follow the towpath. Go past farm buildings and the sewage works on your right. Continue along until you come to Lock Farm at Alvingham Lock, where a tributary of the River Lud runs under the canal, by way of a brick siphon, to feed Alvingham Mill. Cross the road to follow the towpath.
(3) Continue along the towpath to join the road at High Bridge. At the road turn right, leaving the canal, past the houses. At the end of the road, turn right onto the bridleway.
(4) Continue along the bridleway as it crosses fields and ditches until you meet a road and continue straight ahead. After the road first bends to the right and then left, turn right along a footpath. Follow this along the edge of Green Dike until you join another road.
(5) Turn right then left onto Meadow Lane at the next road junction through North Cockerington village. Just past the public phone box, turn right down a footpath. At Chapel Lane, walk straight across to join another footpath. Follow this to rejoin the towpath, turn left and retrace your steps back to Louth.
Near North Cockerington, the remains of the medieval settlement of Cockerington village can be seen as ‘lumps and bumps’ within the fields. The origin of the name Cockerington means a ‘farmstead by a stream called Cocker’ which is a Celtic river name – perhaps an earlier name for the river Lud.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 62ft - Navigation Warehouse
1 : mi 0.63 - alt. 52ft - Keddington Lock
2 : mi 1.06 - alt. 36ft - Ticklepenny Lock
3 : mi 2.93 - alt. 16ft - High Bridge
4 : mi 3.92 - alt. 13ft - Green Dike
5 : mi 5.59 - alt. 26ft - North Cockerington
D/A : mi 9.32 - alt. 62ft - Navigation Warehouse
Maps: OS Landranger 113 and OS Explorer 283
Parking: Numerous car parks throughout the town – please check for parking tariffs. Limited parking at the Riverhead.
Terrain: Along footpaths and bridleways, can be muddy at times. Some roadside walking, all on level ground.
Refreshments: Cafes and pubs in Louth, with the Woolpack pub at the Riverhead and Gas Lamp pub on Thames Street.
Toilets: Public toilets on Eastgate, behind the New Market Hall and at the Bus Station on Church Street.
Stiles: A few. Many are stock proof and therefore may be difficult for some dogs.
The Lincolnshire Wolds is a nationally important and cherished landscape. Most of it was designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) in 1973. Covering an area of 558 square kilometres or 216 square miles, the AONB contains the highest ground in eastern England between Yorkshire and Kent, rising to over 150m along its western edge. Rolling chalk hills and areas of sandstone and clay underlie this attractive landscape.
The Lincolnshire Wolds has been inhabited since prehistoric times and the appearance of the countryside today has been greatly influenced by past and present agricultural practices.
A Countryside Service helps to protect and enhance the landscape through partnership projects with local landowners, farmers, parish councils, businesses and residents of the Wolds.
Office Address :
Lincolnshire Wolds Countryside Service
Lincs LN11 0DA
Phone: 01522 555780 Twitter: @LincsWoldsAONB
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The Riverhead area has much evidence of life from the 18th and 19th centuries when this was a busy and important part of the town. At the heart is the Navigation Warehouse, an old wool warehouse built in the 1770s. On the edge of the Warehouse’s decking is a weather vane – part of the Louth Art Trail. This stands high above the water, gently rotating with the changing winds, reminding us of the role of this vital element in navigation. There is a small seating area near the warehouse, again part of the Louth Art Trail. Constructed of English oak and steel, the designs echo the boats and bridges of the canal.
The locks of the canal are unique in that no two locks are of the same dimensions and that six of the eight locks are of a barrel sided construction. These had four bays on each side with wooden ties where they met, designed to strengthen them against the pressure of the surrounding land. Very little remains of the Top or Town Lock (now replaced by the Tilting Weir) or of Keddington Lock. Ticklepenny and Willows Locks are in a better state of repair, with the barrel-shaped sides still visible. Little is left of Salter Fen Lock, excepting the upper sill where the first set of gates would have been hung. Alvingham Lock and its adjacent wharf are in fair condition, but again, the gates have been removed.
In 2000, with only two of the original canal milestones left, the Louth Navigation Trust financed and organised the installation of 10 new stones between Louth and Tetney Lock. One of the remaining stones can be seen by the footbridge at Alvingham.
The Louth Navigation
The canal was built after it was realised that Louth was beginning to fall into decline. Construction began in 1765 at Tetney Lock, with the canal reaching Louth in 1770 at a total cost of £28,000. The 12 mile route allowed sea-going vessels to navigate between Louth, the North Sea and beyond. The main imports were coal and timber, whilst corn and wool were exported. With the advent of the steam engine and railways, the canal fell into decline towards the end of the 19th century. The Louth flood in 1920 caused much damage to the locks, bridges and roads serving the canal. This was finally the end of the canal as a business and it eventually closed in 1924.
The Louth Navigation Trust was established in 1986 to promote the canal, its history and wildlife for recreation and education. It works to restore and regenerate the canal and its corridor and hopes to re-open the waterway for boats. The Trust, working with Groundwork Lincolnshire, was instrumental in renovating and reopening the Navigation Warehouse, currently used as offices for the Trust.
Enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a 6 mile walk exploring the Louth Canal and nearby village of Alvingham, with two churches in one churchyard. Keep a watch for the darting blue of the kingfisher or the antics of the moorhens as they squabble amongst themselves.
Hubbard's Hills was donated to the town of Louth by the trustees of Auguste Alphonse Pahud, and opened to the public on 1 August 1907.
This is an enjoyable, circular walk of 6.5 miles from Louth to Tathwell and Raithby. The route crosses fields and follows grass tracks to explore these small hamlets. Great views towards Stenigot Mast and beyond can be seen on a clear day.
This is a delightful 5.5 mile walk taking you high into the Wolds. There are fine views to the coast and back to Louth with St James's Church spire visible for miles. Walking along tracks and paths, this really does give a flavour of hilly Lincolnshire.
This walk takes in the high points above Hubbard’s Hills before dropping down into the secluded Welton le Wold valley. Explore the historic church and parkland at South Elkington before journeying back to Louth.
The terrain of this Lincolnshire walk on the outskirts of Louth varies considerably and includes parkland, meadows, the secluded Welton Vale and windswept heights of Jack's Furze reached by a permissive footpath that gives the best views of the entire walk.
The 14 mile Round Louth Walk circles the historic market town, journeying into the surrounding countryside of the Wolds and Marsh. The route is waymarked by a blue spire walk logo. Although the full walk is 14 miles long, there are shorter circular routes using various public footpaths back into town if you don't want to do it all in one day.
A pleasant 6 miles walk from Fotherby towards North Elkington, passing through a Deserted Medieval Village, with fine views of the eastern edge of the Wolds, across the marsh towards the coastline and round to the Humber.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.