A circular route starting from Maghull centre initially following the canal and then disused rail track before heading beside Melling Brook to outskirts of Melling. Final section rejoins canal back to start.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Take steps down from road bridge to West bank towpath and head north.
(1) Leave towpath and turn west down Green Lane. Then, leave Green Lane turning north west along the footpath beside farm buildings.
(2) Head south along disused Cheshire Lines railtrack. Take path east below the main road to traffic lights.
(3) Cross road via traffic lights and take Old Racecourse Road south. Follow Meadway briefly west. Follow footpath South along the west side of Melling Brook.
(4) Briefly take footpath north along the east side of A59 to traffic lights. Carefully cross both lanes of A59 via traffic lights and take footpath south east. Follow path via the tunnel under M58.
(5) Take footbridge over motorway. Follow track under railway line then east across farmland towards farm buildings. Farm track bears south east around substantial stone barn onto Brewery Lane.
(6) Take the path on the north side of the bridge to the canal towpath, turn north along the towpath. Continue north under the railway bridge. Continue north along the towpath.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 59ft - Liverpool RD
1 : mi 0.51 - alt. 59ft - Green Lane
2 : mi 1.3 - alt. 23ft - Cheshire Lines
3 : mi 2.1 - alt. 30ft - Sefton Road
4 : mi 3.02 - alt. 36ft - A59
5 : mi 3.38 - alt. 33ft - Railway
6 : mi 4.01 - alt. 56ft - Brewery Lane
D/A : mi 5.44 - alt. 59ft - End
Food and drink are available in Maghull.
Parking at the start.
More details : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/melli...
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The walk starts from Bell's Lane in Lydiate and follows clockwise circular route via disused railway lane and canal towpath. A possible brief detour to St Catherine's Chapel and the oldest pub in Lancashire, Scotch Piper None.
The walk starts from Sefton Village and follows a clockwise circular route via Sefton Mill site Sefton Meadows, Cheshire Lines railtrack, River Alt and briefly Mersey Forest.
The walk starts from Lunt Village, Sefton and follows the anticlockwise circular route via River Alt, Cheshire Lines railtrack, River Alt and briefly Mersey Forest.
The City of Liverpool offers the walker many sights to explore. This walk takes in the key attractions and provides the basis for a half day introduction to the City.
The walk starts from Wayfarers pub Parbold and follows the clockwise circular route via Leeds Liverpool canal, Fairy Glen and Parbold Hill.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.