A walk starting in Newport, along a new riverside path, by a marina and then through woods and open countryside before returning to the urban setting.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the bus station cross South Street by the lights and continue along Cockram’s Yard and then cross Pyle Street. Continue by the war memorial and Newport Minster. Cross the High Street at the lights and go right to the Guildhall. Go left into Quay Street passing the law courts. Follow the left bend and then go right into The Quay by the Riverside Centre.
(1) Follow the path with the River Medina on your left, passing the Jubilee Stores and Studio. Follow the marked footpath, which passes the boat museum on your left and then a pub “Medina Quay” and Premier Inn hotel also on your left. Follow the path across a recreation ground.
(2) At the far side of the recreation ground and when the path turns sharp right, go left to follow the wide gravel path adjacent to the river, and follow this through trees. This winding path takes you over footbridges and eventually leads you to a marina. Here, on the right, you will see the rusting hulk of the paddle ship Ryde Queen, once used as a ferry and a minesweeper.
(3) At the marina, there is an octagonal white building. Here turn right along the main entrance road and follow these past houses and farm buildings. Carefully cross the main road onto a track by a collection of post boxes.
(4) Go under the old railway bridge and after 30yds go right onto a footpath in the woods. Keep to the right hand side of this wood and follow the path uphill to a double stile. Follow the enclosed path to another double stile. Continue on into a field. Follow the right hand edge of the field to a stile and continue through more fields. Follow a fenced path and through another field to a junction of paths near a farm.
(5) Go right passing New Fairlee Farm. Just after the farm buildings continue on a track to reach a footpath going left around the farmhouse. At a stile, turn right and follow the top of the field edge to a stile near houses. Follow the pathway past houses into a road — this is Cooper Road. Follow Cooper Road to a T-junction. Cross the road into a wooden fenced pathway. This leads onto Halberry Lane.
(:6) Turn left and carefully cross the road and turn right into Victoria Road. Follow this road as it swings left and at the far end of the road keep on the right pathway to find a tunnel crossing. Take this path under Fairlee Road and on into a car park. Continue through the car park to the front of the Riverside Centre and go left along The Quay. Retrace your steps to the bus station.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 43ft - Newport Bus Station
1 : mi 0.38 - alt. 16ft - River Medina
2 : mi 0.92 - alt. 16ft - Recreation ground
3 : mi 2.09 - alt. 0ft - Marina
4 : mi 2.71 - alt. 72ft - Old Railway Bridge
5 : mi 3.72 - alt. 217ft - Farm
6 : mi 4.35 - alt. 72ft - Halberry Lane
D/A : mi 5.21 - alt. 43ft - Newport Bus Station
Access information: The river and marina section is easy level walking using an upgraded gravel path. The woodland section can be very muddy and ascends a hill. The walk follows field edges, which can be muddy, before descending back to the urban fringes of the town. There are main roads to cross where special care should be taken.
Refreshments: Pubs, cafes and restaurants in Newport. There is a restaurant in the marina.
Toilets: Near bus terminus and by the Riverside Centre.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Starting in the heart of Newport, you'll soon emerge into the countryside surrounding the town, crossing open fields on the approach to Carisbrooke Castle.
A walk across farmland and by historic Haseley Manor, one of the oldest houses on the Island.
This is a linear walk from Whippingham to Newport county town of the Isle of Wight. The return journey to Whippingham can be made on the number 5 bus which leaves from the bus station in Newport. The walk explores St. Mildred's Church at Whippingham and then follows the River Medina south to Newport.
Walk from Rookley Post office back to Rookley Main Road via Birchmore Lane. The Walk on the map actually starts and returns to Oakdene.
A countryside walk from the village to Littletown and the Steam Railway.
Great walk around the Chequers Inn where you can stop for refreshment after the effort.
Mostly on bridleways with some long but gentle gradients.
This recommended walk of about 9 miles will take you over the river Medina, up and over Ramsdown to Chillerton village. Then north to Gatcombe to start the climb onto Newbarn Down and Chillerton Down with panoramic views across the island. Passing close to the TV mast you descend through the old marl pits and return via the water meadows of the wilderness.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.