Walk starts from Hindley Mill Lane and follows anticlockwise circular route via Borsdane Wood, Pennington Green, Kirkless Wood and Hindley Hall.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Parking at the start, take Hindley Mill Lane North. Pass under rail tunnel continue on the good quality path north.
(1) Cross the stone bridge and turn west into Mill Lane car park. Exit car park via Westerly path. Take Dodds Farm Lane West.
(2) Turn south west off Dodds Farm Lane. Take path west between fences.
(3) Carefully cross Hall Lane. Take Footpath west towards the barn. Briefly enter the field and head north west to exit gate. Exit field via a gate onto the lane. Take lane north west.
(4) Turn south on Wood Road passing via sports ground. Take the path south on the west side of Kirkless Wood. Follow the path south keeping close to farmland.
(5) Route turns south east at field boundary. Follow the path as it bears south beside the fishing pond. Turn east along Withington Lane. Leave Withington Lane via footpath heading south east.
(6) Upon reaching security fence take the path east along the north side of the fence. Follow the footpath as it turns south by a fence and continues along the path as it leads downslope and through the wood. Follow path briefly south east on the north side of the wood.
(7) On reaching the boundary of golf course take track northeast, Take path east through buildings. Take the road south east towards the main road. Briefly head south on Hall Lane.
(8) Just before houses on east side of the road follow footpath SE behind houses. Take footpath initially east towards the tree line and follow it as it bears south east downhill. On reaching valley floor turn South on path via tunnel and back to start.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 207ft - Start
1 : mi 1.55 - alt. 328ft - Mill Lane
2 : mi 1.89 - alt. 364ft - Dodds Farm
3 : mi 2.17 - alt. 358ft - Hall Lane
4 : mi 2.65 - alt. 397ft - Wood Road
5 : mi 3.12 - alt. 318ft - Boundary
6 : mi 3.47 - alt. 308ft - High Fence
7 : mi 4.09 - alt. 246ft - Golf Course
8 : mi 4.58 - alt. 272ft - America Wood
D/A : mi 5.13 - alt. 210ft - End
Parking at start.
Food and drink available in Hindley.
Bus route 559 to cemetery, start of walk,
Hindley rail station 1 mile from start.
More detailed route info
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Borsdane wood and mill stream.
The walk starts from Mill Lane in Hindley and follows the clockwise circular route via Borsdane Wood and Westhoughton Common.
The walk starts opposite Cowburn St Hindley and follows anti-clockwise circular route around Westhoughton Common.
The walk starts from Bickershaw and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Amberswood, Low Hall and Victoria Fields.
The walk starts at Abram by Kingdown Flash (01Start) and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Bickershaw Park and Fan Lodge ponds.
The walk starts at Westwood Road Wigan in order to join the canal and head south. On leaving the canal the route passes through Wigan Flashes and Turners Flash before heading back to start.
Circular walk starting from Wigan Flashes and including Bryn Gates Lane, Viridor Wood and canal towpath.
Walk starts from Viridor Wood car park and follows anti clockwise circularroute via Viridor Wood and Three Sisters Park.
The walk starts from Pennington Flash car park and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Golborne Park and Lowton.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.