Peppard Common – Cowfields Farm – Peppard Common.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) With your back to the pub walk in a south easterly direction down the approach road to the B481. Cross the road into Church Lane follow the lane past the Peppard Primary school and continue down the lane to All Saints Church.
(1) Walk past the church and past the churchyard on your left nearly to the end of the track and at a field gate take the footpath to your left, step over a couple of rails and through the gap to follow a fenced path through a paddock. Go through a metal kissing gate leading to a track which you cross bearing slightly to your left and then immediately right onto a path which leads through fairly recently planted woodland across a golf course. Pass through a metal kissing gate and walk straight ahead, crossing a bridleway into woodland. Continue through the woodland, cross a second Bridleway (King’s Farm Lane) and proceed straight ahead past cottages until reaching a field gate. Proceed through the field diagonally left until meeting the hedgerow.
(2) Cross a fairly high stile and turn right onto Dog Lane. After 200m pass Silgrove House and turn right through a wooden kissing gate.
(3) Take the right hand path through the paddock following the fence line and then though a further wooden kissing gate into a field. Follow the path under the power lines through the arable field.
(4) At path junction before Cowfields Farm turn right. Proceed straight ahead for 300 metres and through a gap in the hedge then walk along the fenced off path. Cross the farm drive by climbing over the two stiles, at the end of the fenced path climb over another stile and turn right. Proceed to a field gate, then climb over the adjacent stile.
(5) Turn left down King’s Farm Lane for a short distance before turning right onto a footpath. Proceed through wooden kissing gates and on reaching the woodland edge follow path steeply down. Turn right at the bottom (ignoring a path to the left) and proceed straight ahead through the woodland also ignoring a permissive path off to the right. Proceed through two metal kissing gates and turn sharp left following field edge leading up a small hill (good views at the top). Keep on the footpath until a woodland strip, proceed through this and turn right along a field edge. Keeping to edge of the field, walk up the hill and go through gap at top to reach the track leading to Peppard Church again.
(1) Continue along pass the Church Lane back to the pub.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 344ft - The Red Lion
1 : mi 0.45 - alt. 315ft - All Saints Church
2 : mi 1.12 - alt. 325ft - Dog Lane
3 : mi 1.6 - alt. 315ft - Path
4 : mi 1.85 - alt. 315ft - Junction
5 : mi 2.66 - alt. 276ft - King’s Farm Lane
D/A : mi 4.37 - alt. 344ft - The Red Lion
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
All Saints Church, has been extended and altered over the years. It originates from the Norman period and the churchyard contains some very old yew trees. Significant restoration of the church took place between 1870 and 1908. One of the three bells in the bell tower dates from the 14th century. The interior of the church is worth a visit with a 12 century font, memorial stained glass windows and some unique wooden marguetry including the pulpit and a reredos depicting the Last Supper.
Peppard Common – Sonning Common – Peppard Common.
A medium length walk with some steep climbs around The Unicorn.
A short easy walk with one downhill and one uphill section.
A medium length walk with some uphill sections around The Unicorn.
A medium length walk through undulating farmland and the BBC’s Crowsley Park.
A short walk through a quiet valley known as Stony Bottom.
Easy walking through village streets, commons, woodlands and fields with a few short uphill stretches.
Easy walking on fairly level terrain. Rotherfield Greys – Peppard Common – Rotherfield Greys.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.