Peppard Common – Sonning Common – Peppard Common.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) With your back to the pub walk in a south easterly direction down the approach road to the B481. Cross the road into Church Lane and follow the lane to the Peppard Primary school.
(1) Opposite the school turn right, then turn left on the footpath. Walk downhill on the footpath for 0.5km into a charming little valley, then bear left and walk uphill through trees and in 0.5km arrive at Blounts Court Road. Look out for Sedgehill Hill Spring on the uphill section.
(2) Turn left and walk along Blounts Court Road for 0.75km passing the Butchers Arms and Widmore Pond.
(3) Turn right on a winding footpath for 300 m and at the road turn right. Walk along the road for 0.5 km to reach the B481.
(4) Take the footpath opposite for 150m then cross the road to another footpath which in 150m arrives at the main street of Sonning Common.
(5) Turn left and then right to walk along the road passing the Hare and Hounds pub and turning left at the footpath sign at the entrance to Woodlands Road, a cul de sac. Follow the footpath across the field and at the far edge, ignoring the footpath signs, walk across the public recreation ground, Bishopswood, from the skateboard ramps to Horsepond Road, next to Bishopswood School (this will save a longer walk on the busy Horsepond Road).
(6) Turn right on Horsepond Road for 200 metres and then turn left on a footpath which runs diagonally away from the woodland on the left to reach Wyfold Lane.
(7) Turn right on to Wyfold Lane. At the junction cross over Stoke Row Road and to the right of the Unicorn pub proceed along Colliers Lane. After walking downhill and then starting up hill take the left hand fork in the road. Follow the lane for 500m passing Peppard Cottage on the left before arriving back at the Red Lion. (D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 344ft - The Red Lion
1 : mi 0.17 - alt. 331ft - Peppard Primary school
2 : mi 0.79 - alt. 325ft - Blounts Court Road
3 : mi 1.29 - alt. 318ft - Winding footpath
4 : mi 1.83 - alt. 276ft - B481
5 : mi 2.04 - alt. 302ft - Wood Lane
6 : mi 2.95 - alt. 344ft - Horsepond Road
7 : mi 3.61 - alt. 361ft - Wyfold Lane
D/A : mi 4.46 - alt. 344ft - The Red Lion
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Sedgehill Spring was built by the Knollys family who bought the Blount’s Court estate in 1841. It seems to have been fashionable in this area in the 19th century, for wealthy families to provide wells or water collection facilities for the locals, though this one seems a bit out of the way.
Peppard Cottage was used as the setting for the Oscar winning film Howards End starring Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.
Global average : 4/5
Number of opinions : 1
Description quality : 4/5
Routemap quality : 4/5
Walk interest : 4/5
Global average : 4 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Good
Easiness to follow the route : Good
Walk interest : Good
Good mix of woodland, but of interest to property 'voyeurs' as well!
Peppard Common – Cowfields Farm – Peppard Common.
A medium length walk with some steep climbs around The Unicorn.
A short easy walk with one downhill and one uphill section.
A medium length walk with some uphill sections around The Unicorn.
A medium length walk through undulating farmland and the BBC’s Crowsley Park.
A short walk through a quiet valley known as Stony Bottom.
Easy walking through village streets, commons, woodlands and fields with a few short uphill stretches.
Easy walking on fairly level terrain. Rotherfield Greys – Peppard Common – Rotherfield Greys.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.