The walk starts Ribchester Arms, Ribchester and follows clockwise circular route via Duddle Wood, Higher Hud and River Ribble.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Take Blackburn Road east in front of the car park. Take Stydd Lane north over Boyce Brook. Leave lane by taking footpath northeast. Pass through the gate and continue northeast along path. Cross Stydd Brook via footbridge and head briefly East to another bridge. Cross the bridge and continue northeast on the footpath on the west side of the fence. Cross the stile and continue north-west along the footpath.
(1) Take the bridge over the brook and head North across the field. Pass through gate continuing North along the path.
(2) Pass through the gate and turn northeast towards Duddel Wood. Take stile into the wood and take the path east down to the beck. Cross bridge and take path heading north through the wood. The path passes below millpond on approach to the bridge. Take the bridge over a stream and continue north on the undulating path along West side of the valley. Use stepping stones to cross the stream and ascend East side of the valley. Use stile to exit wood and head north along the east side of the wood. Cross stile and head diagonally northeast across the field towards B6243.
(3) Head briefly north-west along B6243. Take lane northeast opposite Pope Farm. Take gate on east of farm buildings across the field. Cross the bridge and follow footpath northeast. Take stile over a farm track and continue northeast along West side of the fence. Use pair of gates to enter the field and take path northeast towards Higher Hud Lee. Use stile at field corner to entre field below Higher Hud Lee.
(4) Take farm lane south to Longridge B6243 before turning east along road towards Hurst Green.
(5) Take lane south on the west side of Dean House. Leave lane, no footpath marker visible approx 400 yards down the lane, just south of highest point on the lane and head south-west towards the tree line. Cross the bridge and continue south-east on the footpath towards the wood.
(6) Take stile into the wood and descend east valley side. Cross brook via a bridge and ascend west side of the valley.
(7) Leave wood via a stile and take track south-east. Leave lane via a footpath, not marked clearly, and head south-west across the field to Haugh Wood. Use the gate to pass through the wood. Keep to the path heading west. Good view over Ribble and Salesbury Hall. Continue West on the footpath along the north side of Stewarts Wood. Pass through the gate and follow path south-west downhill.
(8) Pass through the gate and continue on the path through Dewhurst Farmyard. Take lane south-west along the bank of River Ribble. Continue south-west along the lane.
(9) Take footpath north-west across the field towards Ease Barn Farm. Take stile on the path between farm buildings then onto Gallows Lane. Turn briefly North along Gallows Lane. Take farm track West to farm and continue west through the farmyard.
(10) Take the path south-west from farm buildings. Leave path via a footpath which passes west diagonally across the field. Exit field via a gate and follow the path south back to start.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 92ft - Blackburn Road
1 : mi 0.63 - alt. 108ft - Stydd Gate
2 : mi 1 - alt. 220ft - Duddel Brook
3 : mi 1.85 - alt. 397ft - Hurst Green Road
4 : mi 2.64 - alt. 518ft - Higher Hud Farm
5 : mi 3.36 - alt. 351ft - Bailey Hall lane
6 : mi 3.88 - alt. 285ft - Clough Bank Exit
7 : mi 4.13 - alt. 253ft - Starling Lane
8 : mi 4.74 - alt. 141ft - Dewhurst Lane
9 : mi 5.17 - alt. 92ft - Ribchester Bridge
10 : mi 5.53 - alt. 98ft - Holmes Farm
D/A : mi 6.06 - alt. 92ft - Blackburn Road
Food and drink available in Ribchester.
Parking at start.
More details : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/ribch...
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The walk starts from Baker Brow above Ribchester Bridge and follows a clockwise circular route via Dinckley Bridge.
The walk starts from Osbaldestone Green and follows the anticlockwise circular route via banks of River Ribble.
Walk starts from Witton Park car park and follows anti clockwise circular route via Billinge Wood, Houghton Bottoms and Pleasington.
The walk starts from Stockclough Lane and follows an anticlockwise circular route via Stanworth Wood, Abbeyvillage and Tockholes.
The walk starts Abbey Village main St A675 (Bolton Road) and follows clockwise circular route via Abbey Village, Rake Brook, Roddlesworth Lower and Higher Reservoirs.
The walk starts from Dean Lane off Tockholes Road and follows anticlockwise the circular route via Earnsdale Reservoir, Sunnyhurst Wood and Darwen Golf Course.
The walk starts from Ryal Fold, Tockholes Road and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Duckshaw Moor, Darwin Tower and Earnsdale Reservoir.
Ths Forest of Bowland offers some of the finest walking in Lancashire. However some of the moorland sections can be quite boggy after rain. A good sense of direction is required certainly during the first section of this walk. Refreshments are not available during this walk so make sure you take food and water.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.