A circular walk with glorious views to Painswick and Sheepscombe.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From The Butchers Arms front door, turn right and then immediately right again opposite the Old Vicarage. Walk up the steep lane, bearing left up a bridleway.
(1) Beyond a gate, when you reach Sheepscombe Common, take the left-hand path up the slope.
At the top of the common, turn left into the wood. Stay on the blue-arrowed bridleway when a footpath joins from the left. Ignore a second left turn, climbing to meet a track at a T-junction at the top of the wood.
(2) Turn left to an interpretation board, where you turn right along a bridleway along the woodland edge. Ignore any tracks and rides into the wood on your left until the track descends to a junction with a waymark post indicating bridleways in 3 directions.
(3) Turn left, down the hill.
(4) At the bottom of the wood, turn left onto a path just within the woodland edge, with glorious views to Painswick and, later, Sheepscombe.
Climb to a crossways, then bear right, initially still along the bottom of the wood, then with woodland on both sides.
Cross a ride cut for power lines, then take the lower (right-hand) path at a fork. Follow the most obvious path, ignoring crossing paths, to return to the foot of Sheepscombe Common.
(1) Join the path along the bottom fence, to your right, then swing right into the trees and descend the track to The Butchers Arms. (D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 505ft - The Butchers Arms
1 : mi 0.16 - alt. 623ft - Sheepscombe Common
2 : mi 0.44 - alt. 814ft - Interpretation board - Woodland edge
3 : mi 0.85 - alt. 853ft - Junction
4 : mi 1.19 - alt. 682ft - Views to Painswick
D/A : mi 2.3 - alt. 502ft - The Butchers Arms
One or two climbs and descents. Mud in places.
Pdf link : http://walksfromthedoor.co.uk/i/walks/Gl...
The Butchers Arms
Sheepscombe, Stroud, Gloucestershire
Tel 01452 812113
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
A circular walk between Sheepscombe and Painswick Beacon area.
A one-way walk part of the 'Costwold Challenge' a one-day linear or two-day circular walk between two superb Gloucestershire inns.
Circular walk in the Sheepscombe area between woodlands nearby Laurie Lee Field.
A circular walk around Sheepscombe area and Cranham with glorious views to Painswick and Sheepscombe.
A circular walk around Sheepscombe area via Painswick Beacon and woodlands.
A circular walk around Sheepscombe area between woodlands and Cranham village.
Circular walk, Up hill and down. Great views and some points of interest.
A short, one-way stroll down into Stroud for sightseeing, shopping or to visit the Farmer’s Market. Return the same way, or by car or taxi.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.