The walk starts from Sefton Village and follows a clockwise circular route via Sefton Mill site Sefton Meadows, Cheshire Lines railtrack, River Alt and briefly Mersey Forest.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Take Mill Lane north beside church. Take gate north of Sefton Mill site and follow the path south east behind houses. Notice boards on mill site explain its history. Follow Mill Stream Close south west. Turn south briefly along Bridges Lane. Take Brickwall Lane east along north side footpath.
(1) Carefully cross main road and take footpath as it bears south west. Footpath turns briefly south east. Take footpath south west alongside of watercourse.
(2) Turn east on footpath running along the south side of fence keeping away from the busy road. Continue south east along the path by fence.
(3) Turn northeast down Chapel Lane. Continue northeast along the good quality path. Cross bridge over River Alt and turn east along the north side of river.
(4) Foottpath turns north along the west side of Melling Brook. Leave footpath onto Medway and follow it northeast. Turn north along Old Racecourse Road. Cross over Sefton Lane via traffic lights and turn west down Sefton Drive to pathway between house and main road.
(5) Follow Cheshire Line north.
(6) Turn west along the path on north side embankment of Maghull Brook. Take Showrick Bridge over River Alt and follow the path south.
(7) Turn west along a substantial path.
(8) Path branches south west through Mersey Forest. Cross footbridge and continue south.
(9) Upon reaching Lunt Road turn east back to start. St Helens Well is on opposite side of road.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 39ft - Mill Lane
1 : mi 0.36 - alt. 26ft - B5422
2 : mi 0.86 - alt. 46ft - Broom Cross Road
3 : mi 1.26 - alt. 39ft - Chapel Lane
4 : mi 1.88 - alt. 26ft - Melling Brook
5 : mi 2.75 - alt. 30ft - Cheshire Line
6 : mi 3.47 - alt. 23ft - Maghull Brook
7 : mi 4.07 - alt. 13ft - Moor Lane
8 : mi 4.41 - alt. 30ft - Sefton Boundary
9 : mi 4.98 - alt. 33ft - St Helens Well
D/A : mi 5.11 - alt. 36ft - End
Food and drink are available in Sefton and Thornton.
Parking at the start. L29 7WG
More details : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/sefto...
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
St Helen's Church, Sefton Water Mill (site of), River Alt, Sefton Meadows, Cheshire Lines disused track, Mersey Forest, St Helen's Well
The walk starts from Lunt Village, Sefton and follows the anticlockwise circular route via River Alt, Cheshire Lines railtrack, River Alt and briefly Mersey Forest.
A circular route starting from Maghull centre initially following the canal and then disused rail track before heading beside Melling Brook to outskirts of Melling. Final section rejoins canal back to start.
The walk starts from Bell's Lane in Lydiate and follows clockwise circular route via disused railway lane and canal towpath. A possible brief detour to St Catherine's Chapel and the oldest pub in Lancashire, Scotch Piper None.
The City of Liverpool offers the walker many sights to explore. This walk takes in the key attractions and provides the basis for a half day introduction to the City.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.