A walk along bridleways, a ridgeway and open countryside.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the car park, turn right and go left at Farriers Way. After Stone Place Farm and adjacent to the cemetery, turn right through a gate onto bridleway SW11.
(1) Follow this to the top of the hill and follow the path right. This path goes through a hedge gap and a gate and then continues with the hedge now on your right. Go along the ridgeway and then through an enclosed path.
(2) Then turn right down the hillside passing a small wooden seat. Pass a wood and emerge from SW47onto a road.
(3) Here turn left and reach the entrance to Bucks Farm. Follow the farm road and after about 100 yds, turn right to pass by a gate and then keep on SW54 following the track around the buildings. Follow the track across four large fields.
(4) Turn right at a crossway of tracks onto a green path with a hedge on the left. Follow SW56 to Dungewood Farm. Keep left of the buildings at the farm and emerge onto a metalled track. Follow Dungewood Lane to a left hand bend and then turn right at a 6-bar metal gate onto a bridleway SW17a.
(5) Go through a 7-bar metal gate, following the track towards the right. Leave SW17a at a wooden pedestrian gate and continue on SW18 towards Shorwell. Follow the path on the right hand side of the field. At a telegraph pole, go through a wooden bridle gate and follow the path left for about 50 yds. Turn right across the field on a grassy track. Go through a gap and follow the path uphill to a gateway on the left. Turn left and follow the path with a hedge on the right until you reach a narrow path which descends to the left. Follow this path, with views of Wolverton Manor, until a road is reached.
(6) Turn right and follow this to houses. By the postbox, turn left into Russell road to reach the car park.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 207ft - Car park
1 : mi 0.21 - alt. 213ft - Bridleway
2 : mi 1.19 - alt. 417ft - Hillside
3 : mi 1.64 - alt. 233ft - Bucks Farm
4 : mi 2.65 - alt. 207ft - Crossway
5 : mi 3.24 - alt. 125ft - 7-bar metal gate
6 : mi 4.32 - alt. 220ft - Corve Hill
D/A : mi 4.54 - alt. 207ft - Car park
Start: Shorwell Parish Hall in Russell Road. From Shorwell take the road towards Chale, Farriers Way. At a green area, turn right towards Atherfield into Corve Hill and turn immediately right into Russell Road to find the Parish Hall. Set-off Time: 10.30am.
Access Information: No stiles. One hill at the start of the walk leads to spectacular views along the ridge looking towards St Catherine’s Down and the coast. Views of Wolverton Manor, one of three Elizabethan manors in Shorwell. Shorwell is one of the prettiest villages on the island.
Refreshments: The Crown at Shorwell.
Toilets: Patrons of The Crown at Shorwell.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Walk from Rookley Post office back to Rookley Main Road via Birchmore Lane. The Walk on the map actually starts and returns to Oakdene.
Mostly on bridleways with some long but gentle gradients.
This recommended walk of about 9 miles will take you over the river Medina, up and over Ramsdown to Chillerton village. Then north to Gatcombe to start the climb onto Newbarn Down and Chillerton Down with panoramic views across the island. Passing close to the TV mast you descend through the old marl pits and return via the water meadows of the wilderness.
Great walk around the Chequers Inn where you can stop for refreshment after the effort.
A short pub walk across open countryside and through the iconic village of Winkle Street.
Easy and lovely pub walk from The Sun Inn passing through fields and along the coast.
This is a pleasant stroll along some of the more unfamiliar parts of the island, with fine views towards the sea as you come down from Mottistone Down.
A walk over the downs and through woodland around Niton and Whitwell.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.