Using a part of the South Down Way, this circular walk goes through Southease, Rodmell, along the River Ouse and include one steep hill.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Park next to YHA car park.
(1) Carefully cross the rails as instructed on the sign and follow the path until you reach Lewes Road.
(2) Turn right, cross Lewes Road to join Gorham's Lane. Go through the gate and follow the South Down Way signs. The path goes down and slightly to the right until you join the South Down Way, which is flat.
(3) Turn right before the farm and right again at the gate to go up Mill Hill. At the top, you will get a panoramic view of South Down National Park.
(4) Keep following the South Down Way signs, which shows you the direction of a path on the other side of the paved road.
(5) Turn right on the path called Greenwich Meridian Trail or White Way.
(6) Turn right and walk carefully on the side of the road for few meters. Cross the road when you see the start of the path on your left. Be careful since cars are coming fast.
(7) Turn left to bypass houses. Once you have reached the main road of the village, turn right and then left at the next intersection. A bit further, the road becomes a path and will lead you to River Ouse.
(8) Turn right at the gate and walk along River Ouse. There are in fact two paths side by side which lead to the same endpoint. One path is at the edge of the water and the other is a few meters below on the right.
(9) Turn left at the gate and walk back to the car park.
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 13ft - Car park
1 : mi 0.08 - alt. 3ft - Rail
2 : mi 0.74 - alt. 102ft - Junction with Lewes Road
3 : mi 1.52 - alt. 79ft
4 : mi 1.83 - alt. 253ft
5 : mi 2.24 - alt. 259ft
6 : mi 3.02 - alt. 56ft
7 : mi 3.51 - alt. 30ft
8 : mi 4.55 - alt. 0ft
9 : mi 5.58 - alt. 3ft
D/A : mi 5.97 - alt. 13ft - Car park
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
This lengthy East Sussex walk traverses a section of the South Downs using the South Downs Way and other paths and tracks. The start is Southease station with the route taking you to Ditchling Beacon before finishing at Lewes. A convenient rail service links you to Southease.
This East Sussex walk takes you onto the South Downs for spectacular views north at Firle Beacon. The walk also offers the opportunity to visit Charlestown Farmhouse with its bohemian décor and associations with the Bloomsbury set.
Beautiful out-and-back walk starting in Cuckmere Haven car park, taking in riverside, coastal path, village and forest
This linear walk from East Dean to Eastbourne includes many of the highlights along the East Sussex coast in this area. A frequent bus serrvice can be used to return to the start.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.