An open-to-the-sky Sunday stroll in the sun Canal du Forez.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Park in the car park next to the David Pond.
(S/F) Cross the road and follow the side of the canal avoiding the path to David Pond marked with a fish symbol.
(1) Cross the road and continue on the same bank.
(2) At a stone bridge, cross over to the left and move to the other bank. Otherwise you will be unable to get over the Bonson river. Continue along the canal.
(3) After Frécon Neuf farm with a pond where a small windmill is located, turn right. Cross at the bridge and take a left to return to the right bank.
(4) Cross the D102 departmental road and continue straight on the same bank.
(5) Arrive at the old Estivarelle rail bridge, turn back on yourself and return by the same route to reach the car park (S/F).
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 1280ft
1 : mi 0.92 - alt. 1280ft - Road crossing
2 : mi 1.31 - alt. 1276ft - Obligatory change of bank
3 : mi 1.9 - alt. 1273ft - Change bank again.
4 : mi 2.26 - alt. 1293ft - Road crossing
5 : mi 3.1 - alt. 1280ft - U-turn.
D/A : mi 6.25 - alt. 1280ft
This Sunday stroll is family-friendly. Take extra care with young children because the canal banks do not have barriers.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 2833E.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Between (4) (5) and you will likely see a good number of egrets which are to be found here.
A walk through Forez on waymarked trails.
Family-friendly walk in the hills of Saint-Héand among the horses and cows.
Beautiful route along the ridges around the village of Fontanès. Free parking in the castle grounds.
A circuit primarily on small paved and sunny roads.
Rochebaron Castle is the emblematic site in the Bas-en-Basset and Monistrol-sur-Loire area.
Beautiful views, first over the Loire and, on the return journey, over the Meygal massif.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.