Great walk around the Chequers Inn where you can stop for refreshment after the effort.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Start your walk from the Chequers Inn garden through the Ramblers 50-year celebratory gate. Turn left and continue along the new permissive footpath. Pass through two more Rambler’s “kissing gates” and follow the path up and over the top of the hill. Pass a house painted white on your left and join footpath GL6 between two oak trees.
(1) Turn right and follow the path until you join the main road. Turn left and walk along the pavement for approx. 700 yards.
(2) Just after the junction with Niton Road turn left up a tarmacked track, Bunkers Lane. SIGN - Bunkers Lane GL1 to Chillerton 3¼. After the houses, continue through Bunkers Copse and beyond. Where the track bends sharp right (there is a notice “Private no Right of Way”).
(3) Turn left through a gate. Go downhill, along the field edge, with the fence/hedge on your right. Go over the double stile at the bottom and cross the narrow field to the footbridge with two stiles. Then cross the field towards distant farm buildings to a stile by a farm gate beneath a tree. Walk straight ahead up to the group of buildings at Loverstone Farm.
(4) Turn left and follow the road for about half a mile. Immediately after it bears right, turn left down the lane towards Cridmore.
(5) Just after the lane bends to the right, turn left down a track G18 between hedges. Go through a metal gate and continue straight ahead across the field (you may need to avoid a marshy area) to a stile and footbridge.
(6) Continue towards Rookley Farm, turn right and walk up the farm lane to the road. Carefully cross the road.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 213ft - Chequers Inn
1 : mi 0.43 - alt. 233ft - Path
2 : mi 1.04 - alt. 187ft - Tarmacked track
3 : mi 1.5 - alt. 194ft - Gate
4 : mi 1.93 - alt. 164ft - Loverstone Lane
5 : mi 2.46 - alt. 138ft - Track G18
6 : mi 2.86 - alt. 131ft - Rookley Farm
D/A : mi 3.4 - alt. 213ft - Chequers Inn
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Enter the Chequers Inn and buy a well-deserved pint.
Mostly on bridleways with some long but gentle gradients.
This recommended walk of about 9 miles will take you over the river Medina, up and over Ramsdown to Chillerton village. Then north to Gatcombe to start the climb onto Newbarn Down and Chillerton Down with panoramic views across the island. Passing close to the TV mast you descend through the old marl pits and return via the water meadows of the wilderness.
Walk from Rookley Post office back to Rookley Main Road via Birchmore Lane. The Walk on the map actually starts and returns to Oakdene.
A walk across farmland and by historic Haseley Manor, one of the oldest houses on the Island.
A great pub walk from the White Horse in Whitwell.
A walk along bridleways, a ridgeway and open countryside.
Starting in the heart of Newport, you'll soon emerge into the countryside surrounding the town, crossing open fields on the approach to Carisbrooke Castle.
A walk starting in Newport, along a new riverside path, by a marina and then through woods and open countryside before returning to the urban setting.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.