Nice walk passing by The Cloud, Rushton Bank and Bridestones.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) This walk begins in the car park at Timbersbrook on Weathercock Lane.
(1) Take the footpath off Tunstall Road up to the summit of The Cloud. Follow the footpath down the hill to Red Lane and turn left and then right onto the South Staffordshire and Gritstone Trail. Follow the footpath/track to Raven's Clough and turn right just before the farm. This leads through a wooded valley and then out into rather soggy fields.
(2) Take the steps up to the old railway line path and turn right. Turn right at Nether Lee and take the steep footpath up to Askerbank Lane. This footpath leads up to a house garden. There are stone steps into the garden. These are hard to see and not well signposted. Once up the steps turn right along the boundary of the garden and then left along the fence exiting into Askerbank Lane.
(3) Turn right at Askerbank Lane and a little way up the road, just before it takes a sharp left, the footpath ahead is well hidden in a hedge just to the left of a drive. Follow the footpath to Beat Lane and turn left.
(4) Walk up the hill and turn right and then right again onto Dial Lane. A little way along here turn right past a big house to see the remains of a long barrow burial chamber. Return to Dial Lane and turn right. Take the footpath on the right just a little further along past Dial Lane Farm. This runs along a small brook and exits at Tunstall Road.
(5) Turn right at Tunstall Road and then straight ahead into Weathercock Lane and back to the start of the walk.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 541ft - Timbersbrook
1 : mi 0.35 - alt. 663ft - Tunstall Road
2 : mi 3.24 - alt. 482ft - Old railway
3 : mi 4.05 - alt. 636ft - Askerbank Lane
4 : mi 5.87 - alt. 955ft - Hill
5 : mi 6.84 - alt. 614ft - Tunstall Road
D/A : mi 7.01 - alt. 545ft - Timbersbrook
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The Gritstone Trail runs for 56 km through the Cheshire countryside, west of the Peak District, from Disley to Kidsgrove. This third stage picks up the trail at The Cloud, having left Congleton in a circular route using the Dales Valley Way and the towpath along the Macclesfield Canal to the aqueduct over the River Dale. The route passes Timbersbrook, Nick i' th' Hill, Cheshire's Close, Mow Cop and rejoins the Macclesfield Canal before following the Trent & Mersey Canal into Kidsgrove.
This North Staffordshire linear walk starts in the village of Rushton Spencer near Leek and follows the Staffordshire Way to the summit of the Cloud. This local landmark offers some wonderful views across north Cheshire and north Staffordshire.
Five minutes’ drive to a fascinating village, with a mossland nature reserve and gentle canal scenery.
Featuring rolling hills, wooded reservoirs and an optional climb to a viewpoint with geological and industrial interest.
A fairly easy stroll up the hill behind the pub, offering good views to Tegg’s Nose and Sutton Common.
After a pleasant ramble along a stream, the effort of climbing to the TV mast is rewarded by a scenic ridge walk.
This circular walk offers some great views around Rossen Clough.
This Cheshire Walk was produced to assist fundraising for the Rossendale Trust. The route covers a section of the Gritstone Way and other scenic parts of Cheshire. Some of the route lies within the boundaries of the Peak District National Park.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.