Easy circular hike leaving from Rague port.
The hike starts by climbing up towards Mont Thurney at the entrance to the Estérel, then going downhill through a dry valley then a forest (eucalyptus and then pine trees) before reaching San Peyre and its 360° orientation table (panoramic view over the Îles de Lérins, Cannes bay and the Mercantour).
Go down through Napoule and then take the coastal path alongside the château until you reach Raguette and Rague beaches.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Start at the path behind Rague Port just downhill from the D6098.
(D) Take the path heading westwards until you reach a boat repair building.
At the end of this hangar, there is a no entry sign for vehicles (white circle encircled with red). Behind this sign, there is a furrowed path heading in a north-easterly direction. Take this path for a few dozen metres. You will arrive at another path on a balcony, turn left heading west.
Follow this path and climb up the ridge of Mont Turney to the ref. point at 94m via a few zigzags.
On the ridge, the view clearly emerges towards the Îles de Lérins and the Cannes hinterland. Continue to the left in a south-west direction on this ridge up to an obvious intersection marked with 2 cairns.
(1) At this intersection, go back downhill to the right in a north-east direction. You can see out over a valley, then go through an amazing eucalyptus forest and then a pine forest.
When you reach a very pretty, very slender, cairn, go back downhill on the left towards a stream, then climb upwards again until you reach the D2098a.
(2) Cross the road and take the path opposite which climbs in a northerly direction. Follow this track up to a small road at the entrance of the San Peyre Regional Park.
(3) To go up to the San Peyre orientation table and back: continue left on the road, then climb up the steps on the left which lead you easily to the orientation table (above a chapel in ruins) where you will have a magnificent 360° panoramic view over Cannes bay, the Îles de Lérins, Théoule, the Estérel, the hinterland of Cannes, the Mercantour, etc.
Return to the crossroads (3) via the same path...then follow the path on the right which goes around San Peyre via the north.
(4) On arriving at the road, turn left and then go downhill on the right via the 'Montée des Cigales' steps. Go downhill into Napoule on the right, turn left at the post office, then cross the car park towards the left in order to go under the station and arrive at the entrance of the Napoule Château.
Go around the château via the left and go along the front of it in order to return to the beach and the coastal path.
(5) Take the coastal path in the direction of Raguette beach, Rague beach and Rague Port.
Wonderful location with small beaches and clear waters!
Go past Raguette beach and then climb towards the Rocher des Pendus before going back downhill towards Rague beach.
Cross the latter, heading south, in order to reach Rague port.
(6) Go along the port in a westerly direction and go below the road to return to the departure point (A).
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 82ft
1 : mi 0.84 - alt. 279ft - Intersection with 2 cairns
2 : mi 1.64 - alt. 105ft - RD 2098a
3 : mi 1.86 - alt. 200ft - San Peyre Park
4 : mi 2.8 - alt. 190ft - 'Montée des Cigales' steps
5 : mi 3.15 - alt. 16ft - Napoule Château
6 : mi 3.66 - alt. 13ft - Rague Port
D/A : mi 3.96 - alt. 75ft
Stony paths, it's important to have good shoes.
Take water with you in the summer.
We advise taking IGN maps with you on this walk. Click here to buy : 3544ET, 3643ET.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Beautiful panoramic views.
Visit Château de la Napoule: http://www.chateau-lanapoule.com/ (entry prices start at € 3.50).
Beaches, swimming, diving, etc.
Global average : 4.3/5
Number of opinions : 35
Description quality : 4.17/5
Routemap quality : 4.29/5
Walk interest : 4.43/5
Global average : 5 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Very good
Routemap quality : Very good
Walk interest : Very good
Very nice walk around La Napoule with a good mixture of views of the mountainous hinterland as well as the coastline.
This is a magnificent hike through the red rocks of Estérel, looking over the blue of the Mediterranean with extraordinary viewing points.
Above Agay close to the beaches, the fabulous Massif de l'Esterel is the ideal terrain for a comfortable hike, but is always different.
Beautiful hike in the Esterel Massif where you can discover Sainte Baume and its chapel and the beautiful viewpoint on Cap Roux peak, and then reach Ours Peak going via Aurelle Peak.
Very beautiful hike close to Agay which enables you to discover the Estérel away from the usual routes.
This circuit lets you discover magnificent panoramic views over the Mediterranean (the Gulf of Saint- Tropez up to the Dramont semaphore) and Mediterranean forests, as well as the remains of the Malavettes forester's house, now abandoned.
A very nice short walk that with beautiful views of the bay of Agay and the Esterel massif.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.