A pleasant stroll around the village including a riverside section within a Community Woodland.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) From the front door of the Hanging Gate, cross into High Street and walk towards the village centre.
(1) Pass the Wheatsheaf Inn and turn left into Church Street. At the junction with Pinfold Way, near to the parish church, bear right into Church Lane (or continue straight ahead to visit the church, returning the same way).
(2) At the T-junction beyond St Bede’s RC Church, turn left along Wallerscote Road, then left into Barrymore Road. Pass Owley Wood Club on your left, then turn left into Ainsworth Road.
(3) At the end of the road, cross over, turn right and go through the kissing gate into Owley Wood. Follow the path ahead past a bench and into the wood, ignoring a stile in the fence on your left. Turn left (signposted “Riverside Walk”) and go down the steps. Turn right at the bottom, and join a boardwalk section alongside the river which ascends via intermittent steps. The path leaves the river, initially following a small stream, then swings right and up a flight of steps. Bear right to the kissing gate at the corner of the wood and turn left into Wallerscote Road.
(4) Turn right and follow the road towards the village centre, passing Weaverham Cricket Club on your left. At the Ring O’ Bells, turn right along Northwich Road, passing a row of shops on your right and Lakehouse Field on your left.
(1) Opposite the Wheatsheaf, turn left into Forest Street. Follow the road to its junction with West Road, near the Weaverham Roundabout. Turn right and follow West Road back to the Hanging Gate.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 128ft - Hanging Gate
1 : mi 0.28 - alt. 128ft - Wheatsheaf Inn
2 : mi 0.64 - alt. 135ft - Wallerscote Road
3 : mi 1.02 - alt. 102ft - Ainsworth Road
4 : mi 1.74 - alt. 138ft - Wallerscote Road
D/A : mi 2.97 - alt. 128ft - Hanging Gate
Mostly on the tarmac, but with a moderate stepped descent and ascent and muddy ground within Owley Wood.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Varied walking through rolling countryside with a scenic stretch along the Weaver Navigation.
A walk along field paths to a neighbouring village, with views over the Weaver valley.
A walk through rolling countryside to an impressive viaduct with a straightforward riverside return.
A varied walk by way of village, canal tunnel, capacious locks and quiet riverside fields.
A simple and pleasant stroll beside the River Weaver, returning along the Trent & Mersey Canal.
An accessible, easy and varied walk that crosses woods, fields and makes the most of the lovely Whitegate Way. Free parking at Whitegate station and a lovely coffee shop run by volunteers.
Taking in the industrial scenery of the River Weaver and its surrounding countryside.
An easy, scenic stroll around a popular lake called Pick Mere.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.