A wonderful peaceful walk to the hidden gem of Mupe Bay. Super coastal views and some nice hills too!
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) In West Lulworth from the main road, take the short track at the southern end of the main village.
(1) Follow the track for a short distance before taking a right turn through a small gate from where you will ascend the steep hill on which Bindon Hill fort sits. The path will take you above Lulworth Cove.
(2) Head eastwards until you reach the range boundary. Turn left here until you reach the gate that admits you onto the range walks - pay attention to the warnings here. The ranges may be closed owing to military operations. You will reach a fork in the path.
(3) Take the right hand fork to head downhill towards the coast. The views here are magnificent and it is a nice broad track downhill. Follow the track downhill, you will make a hairpin turn until you get to a crossroads of three paths.
(4) Take the path that heads eastwards. Follow this path until the vegetation grows taller and you see a narrow path heading down to the beach at Mupe Bay.
(5) Take the path from the beach back to the main path down. From here turn right so the path follows along the back of Mupe Bay. The path soon becomes very steep. Take care on the deep steps. Continue uphill until you reach the range walk that runs east-west along the top of the ridge.
(6) Turn left so you are walking westwards along the ridge. Continue along the path until you reach the entrance to the range walks.
(7) Follow the path downhill heading towards West Lulworth and the path that you started the walk on, down through the small gate back down to the track (1) and main road.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 108ft - West Lulworth
1 : mi 0.15 - alt. 144ft - Track
2 : mi 0.7 - alt. 302ft - Lulworth Cove
3 : mi 0.9 - alt. 394ft - Fork
4 : mi 1.51 - alt. 220ft - Path
5 : mi 1.89 - alt. 95ft - Mupe Bay
6 : mi 2.35 - alt. 423ft - Ridge
7 : mi 3.29 - alt. 407ft - Path
D/A : mi 3.86 - alt. 108ft - West Lulworth
This walk crosses through a military training area so do ensure that the area is open before you enter. The return path is very steep so do be careful and wear suitable footwear.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Beautiful views all round. Mupe Bay would be a lovely spot for a picnic.
Lulworth Cover and Durdle Door are two of the best known features of Dorset's Jurassic Coast. This short walk includes some uphill walking but the path is good and well graded.
A short Dorset walk in the Isle of Purbeck enjoying the beautiful coastal scenery of St Aldhelms Head. The route uses a section of the South West Coast Path and is an ideal choice for a sunny afternoon.
A short Dorset walk that takes in some of the wonderful geological features of the Jurrassic Coast close to Studland. The walk also provides wonderful views across Swanage Bay.
A Dorset walk that explores the pleasant landscape to the east of the pretty village of Abbotsbury. The ropute includes a section of the South West Coast path including a potion along the shores of West Fleet, the lagoon behind Chesil Beach.
A circular walk giving beautiful views over the surrounding countryside of rolling hills and meadows.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.