The walk starts opposite Cowburn St Hindley and follows anti-clockwise circular route around Westhoughton Common.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Parking available in Hindley Mill Lane where the walk ends.
(D) Take footpath north on the east side of the cemetery wall. Continue North via railway bridge. Keep going north on farm track passing a duck pond on your right.
(1) Continue north past Borsdane Farm.
(2) At Keeper's Cottage, turn right and then take the first track to the left to the edge of the field. Head northeast over the field. Cross stream via the bridge and continue northeast to trees. At the dismantled railway, carefully descend to the disused rail track and cross east to the path on the opposite bank. Follow the path to the Taylor Farm.
(3) From the farm, take stile onto Dodds Lane and head north. Continue northeast onto Dodds Lane until it reaches Chorley Road.
(4) Turn right onto Chorley Road and leave the A6 at the first right turn. Continue south on this path until you arrive at a farm.
(5) From Carlies Farm, turn right follow the substantial track south-west.
(6) At Wilson's Farm, turn left and follow the path heading south through farm buildings.
(7) From the railway, take the track on your right. Follow this track until you're back at (1)
(1) Turn left with the duck pond on your left and keep south.
(8) Leave main track via the footpath on your right heading west. Take steps down to Borsdane Wood. Head south through tunnel. Continue south past cemetery and rejoin car park into Hindley Mill Lane.(A)
D : mi 0 - alt. 240ft - Hindley Cemetery
1 : mi 0.54 - alt. 279ft - Borsdane Farm
2 : mi 0.84 - alt. 308ft - Keeper's Cottage
3 : mi 1.44 - alt. 351ft - Taylor Farm
4 : mi 2.33 - alt. 446ft - Chorley Road
5 : mi 3 - alt. 397ft - Carlies Farm
6 : mi 3.84 - alt. 315ft - Wilson's Farm
7 : mi 4.21 - alt. 282ft - Railway
8 : mi 4.98 - alt. 259ft - Footpath
A : mi 5.32 - alt. 236ft - Hindley Cemetery
Parking at start and end.
Food and drink available in Hindley.
More details : http://www.graemelinford.com/walks/westh...
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The walk starts from Mill Lane in Hindley and follows the clockwise circular route via Borsdane Wood and Westhoughton Common.
Walk starts from Hindley Mill Lane and follows anticlockwise circular route via Borsdane Wood, Pennington Green, Kirkless Wood and Hindley Hall.
The walk starts from Bickershaw and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Amberswood, Low Hall and Victoria Fields.
The walk starts at Abram by Kingdown Flash (01Start) and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Bickershaw Park and Fan Lodge ponds.
The walk starts at Westwood Road Wigan in order to join the canal and head south. On leaving the canal the route passes through Wigan Flashes and Turners Flash before heading back to start.
Circular walk starting from Wigan Flashes and including Bryn Gates Lane, Viridor Wood and canal towpath.
The walk starts from Pennington Flash car park and follows the anticlockwise circular route via Golborne Park and Lowton.
The walk starts from the car park on Slag Lane and follows a clockwise circular route around Pennington Flash.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.