A walk from Wiltshire's highest point and through the villages of Tollard Royal and Berwick St James
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
Access : Park at car park at head of rough track. Head through gate at top of car park, sign-posted Wessex Way.
(1) Path enters private woodland and is well sign-posted through private estate.
(2) Where path splits, follow sign-post for Tollard Royal.
(3) On reaching Tollard Royal, immediately take sharp left and double-back on well-defined track, sign-posted Win Green.
(4) On reaching main road, there is the option to continue following track back to carpark for a shorter walk. For longer walk leave track onto road.
(5) Cross road and pick-up bridleway on RHS. Follow this downhill into Berwick St James.
(6) On reaching the village, turn left and follow road through village, passing church & pub on left.
(7) Turn to the right
(8) On leaving the village, take first bridleway on right after house, following uphill track.
(9) Turn right, where track meets Ox Drove.
(10) Follow Ox Drove, then road to rejoin the track to the car park.
(11) Look for gate on left leading to Win Green summit & trig point.
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 853ft
1 : mi 0.55 - alt. 551ft
2 : mi 1.77 - alt. 394ft
3 : mi 2.5 - alt. 374ft
4 : mi 4.33 - alt. 804ft
5 : mi 4.42 - alt. 791ft
6 : mi 5.27 - alt. 554ft
7 : mi 5.41 - alt. 538ft
8 : mi 6.13 - alt. 456ft
9 : mi 7.24 - alt. 814ft
10 : mi 8.32 - alt. 804ft
11 : mi 9.04 - alt. 784ft
D/A : mi 9.44 - alt. 853ft
Bridleways can be muddy after rain/snow.
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
Great views from Win Green
Global average : 4.17/5
Number of opinions : 2
Description quality : 4.5/5
Routemap quality : 4/5
Walk interest : 4/5
Global average : 3.33 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Good
Routemap quality : Average
Walk interest : Average
A good varied circular walk. Some of the junctions were tricky ... be careful not to go as far as the road in Tollard Royal or you risk missing the sharp turn back (nearly 180 degrees) to Win Green. In Berwick James go right through the village, past the priory as well as the church and pub (closed on Wednesdays!). No mobile signal in this village to check you are on track.
Global average : 5 / 5
Date of walk
Description quality : Very good
Routemap quality : Very good
Walk interest : Very good
A superb walk in every way challenging in some areas.
A gentle exploratory ramble along nearby footpaths with pleasant views. Nothing onerous.
A glorious walk in the hills between Martin Down and the Chalk Valley taking in Vernditch Chase, Marleycombe Hill, Church Bottom and Middleton Down Nature Reserve
This walk is intended as the return leg to the central section of the East Mendip Way from Shepton Mallet to Cranmore Tower and is originally published on the East Mendip Way Facebook page.
A circular walk from Tuckton/Wick to Hengistbury Head using path along the river Stour and Christchurch harbour.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.