Two spectacular limestone gorges with an optional ascent to the hillfort and viewpoint on Mam Tor.
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
(D/A) Leave the front door of The Peak Hoteland turn left towards the village centre, following the main road (How Lane) as it bends left. At the Old Nag’s Head follow Back Street.
Turn right into the churchyard and left at the church door to exit the churchyard into Castle St. Turn left then right, signposted ‘Peak Cavern’.
(1) Beyond the stream turn left and walk between cottages to view Peak Cavern. On your return, turn left uphill past Rose Cottage. Turn left at Dales House and beyond a signpost to Speedwell Cavern, follow the stony path beyond the end of the tarmacked road.
Beyond a gate follow the path ahead along a wall with steep slopes to the left. After a gradual climb to a kissing gate descend to the road at Speedwell Cavern.
(2) Turn left past the cavern entrance then follow the broad grassy verge up Winnats Pass, to the right of the metalled road beyond the cattle grid.
(3) At the top of the gorge, just before a second cattle grid, take a footpath on the right which runs behind a farm. Pass through a gate and go straight across the field opposite to a road. Cross the road (if omitting the optional climb of Mam Tor, take the left-hand path to Windy Knoll Cave and walk through the quarry beyond, climbing the bank at the rear and turning left to rejoin the route before step (4)).
(4) For the ascent of Mam Tor, take the right-hand path and follow it until it meets a road. Cross the road and walk up the hill to a gate, then up a flight of stone steps to the road at Mam Nick. Go through a gate on the right and follow the paved path beyond to the summit of Mam Tor.
(5) Return by the same route, walking back down the steps and down the field to return to the road by Windy Knoll (4). Go through the gate opposite and follow the track to the right of a quarry. Follow the wall beyond to the road.
(6) Turn right and then immediately left, along the driveway towards Rowter Farm. Follow the metalled drive then, beyond the farm entrance, follow the stony track beyond. Ignore paths to right and left then, at a junction with a bridleway, bear left.
(7) Beyond a gate and wall stile turn left along the Limestone Way past two gates, then swing right, away from the wall, aiming slightly left of the distant Win Hill. At the bottom of a dry valley, turn right signposted “Public Bridleway to Cave Dale”. Keep to the valley bottom as the dale deepens and becomes rockier, with a dramatic moment when Peveril Castle comes into view.
(8) Having passed below the castle, at the foot of Cave Dale go through a gate into Pindale Road.
(9) Turn left then right down Back Street. At the main road turn right and follow it past the primary school and round the bend to The Peak Hotel. (D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 627ft - The Peak Hotel
1 : mi 0.76 - alt. 643ft - Rose Cottage
2 : mi 1.41 - alt. 820ft - Speedwell Cavern - Winnats Pass
3 : mi 2.04 - alt. 1296ft - Top of the gorge
4 : mi 2.41 - alt. 1362ft - Summit of Mam Tor
5 : mi 2.81 - alt. 1631ft - Quarry
6 : mi 3.5 - alt. 1362ft - Rowter Farm
7 : mi 4.56 - alt. 1388ft - Limestone Way
8 : mi 5.79 - alt. 876ft - Cave Dale
9 : mi 6.04 - alt. 666ft - Back Street
D/A : mi 6.23 - alt. 627ft - The Peak Hotel
A stiff climb up Winnats Pass and a rocky descent down Cave Dale.
Pdf link : http://walksfromthedoor.co.uk/i/walks/De...
The Peak Hotel
How Lane, Castleton, Derbyshire
Tel : 01433 620247
Website : www.thepeakhotel.co.uk
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
The Old Hall Hotel and Tea Rooms, Hope
Market Place, Hope, Derbyshire
Tel : 01433 620160
Website : www.oldhallhotelhope.com
Stroll through pretty Castleton village and visit two of the area’s famous limestone caverns on foot.
A classic ridge walk to a fine viewpoint, followed by a visit to a historic village and a pleasant riverside return.
Walk in the Peak District. Will take you from Mid to North of The Peak District.
A picturesque walk with some steep climbs. Starts in Castleton and takes the limestone way through Cave Dale. The walk then works is way overland to Mam Tor and along the Great Ridge to Back Tor. From here the walk goes towards Blue John Cavern before descending via Winnat's Pass and then over the field back to Castleton. Some steep climbs most notably Mam Tor and Back Tor - also some steep and rocky terrain/descents.
A Peak District walk that takes in some of the highlights of the area to the north of Castelton. The route is varied, offers some wonderful views and is generally easy to follow.
Hollins Cross, Mam Tor and Cavedale are highlights of this Peak District walk from Castleton. The walk includes both Dark and White Peak scenery and generally follows well marked footpaths.
This Peak District walk from Castleton takes you south and crosses some typical limestone scenery, providing some good views across the valley to Castleton's Great Ridge. You walk through Cave Dale and are also descend through the dramatic Winnats Pass.
This Peak District walk follows a relatively low level circuit of the head of the valley offering good views of the Great Ridge. You are also able to see the large landslip on the flank of Mam Tor.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.