This is a reasonably flat walk, much of it beside water (river, canal and lake).
Calculated time is computed with the distance, the height difference, and an average speed of 2.2 mph. For an intermediate walker, this time includes small breaks.
The walk starts from Ye Olde Swan at Woughton on the Green (parking at pub or nearby).
(D/A) From Ye Olde Swan, head south down the road towards Simpson. After only a few metres turn right onto a footpath that takes you through a community orchard towards the Grand Union Canal. Just before you reach the canal, turn left onto a footpath that runs parallel to the canal towpath. After a short while, this joins the canal towpath. Pass under H8 Standing Way and continue heading south along the towpath of the canal until just before passing under another grid road - H9 Groveway. Underneath the road, veer leftwards, leaving the canal towpath to join an old roadway.
(1) You will see an old footbridge across the canal to your right : do not go across, but instead stay on the road as it curves through the old heart of Simpson village. Passing old cottages and newer houses you will come to St. Thomas's church. Bear left passing the front of the church, heading east out of the village along Simpson Road.
(2) After a few metres (and about halfway to Simpson Drive on your left) cross over Simpson Road to a small car park. Continue along a Redway that runs eastwards, parallel to Simpson Road, then after a few metres turn right onto a pathway into the floodplain of the River Ouzel. Very soon you come to the site of the 16th Century Simpson Manor. Follow the path until you come to a T-junction
(3) Turn left towards Caldecotte Lake. Make your way towards the Windmill/Caldecotte pub/restaurant, but keep to the path, veering to the left before the car park and walk around the small headland that protrudes into the lake. This path continues around the lakeside, bringing you to the other side of the pub/restaurant. Continue along this lakeside path until it takes you beneath a grid road - H10 Bletcham Way.
(4) When on the south side, you climb the steps on your right, up to road level where you join a Redway beside the road. Head right northeast to cross over the constriction of Caldecotte Lake. Within a few metres turn right off the Redway, heading back down to the lakeside : turn right to pass under the bridge carrying the grid road - H10 Bletcham Way. Follow the lakeside path northeast that runs parallel with the grid road. Before long you will come to a junction, with a small footbridge to the left - cross the bridge and continue along the lakeside path, veering to the left of a small shelter. Keep with the lakeside path heading north until you reach Simpson Road.
(5) Turn left and head east along the Redway on the south side of Simpson Road until you reach Simpson bridge over the River Ouzel.
(6) When on the east side of the river (nearer to Simpson village) turn right and cross over the road to join the path that follows the River Ouzel northwards. Continue along this path - it will pass under a grid road - H9 Groveway.
(7) In a while, you will see a footbridge across the river on your right. This leads to Walton Hall (The Open University) and St Michael's Church, but DO NOT cross the bridge. Instead, continue alongside the river for a few more metres on a Redway. Before long turn right onto a surfaced path that runs north, keeping an ox-bow lake on your right and Walton Lakes on your left. When you are back alongside the River Ouzel, veer right and follow along the river, heading north west. (The Open University campus is on the other side of the river.)
(8) Pass (do not cross) a footbridge on your right, shortly before passing under a grid road - H8 Standing Way. Immediately after passing under the road turn left onto a surfaced path, leaving the riverside path behind. This path heads westwards through Woughton playing fields. Continue until you reach a road - Newport Road. Turn right towards St Mary's Church and Ye Olde Swan - the end of the walk.(D/A)
D/A : mi 0 - alt. 223ft - Ye Olde Swan Pub
1 : mi 1.22 - alt. 243ft - Old Bridge Over Grand Union Canal - by Groveway H9
2 : mi 1.49 - alt. 220ft - Simpson Road
3 : mi 1.78 - alt. 226ft - T-junction
4 : mi 2.61 - alt. 230ft - H10 Bletcham Way
5 : mi 3.63 - alt. 220ft - Simpson Road
6 : mi 3.83 - alt. 220ft - Simpson Bridge
7 : mi 4.33 - alt. 210ft - St Michael's Church and Walton Hall
8 : mi 4.85 - alt. 217ft - H8 Standing Way
D/A : mi 5.42 - alt. 223ft - Ye Olde Swan Pub
Visorando and this author cannot be held responsible in the case of accidents or problems occuring on this walk.
A fairly easy walk from Ye Olde Swan at Woughton on the Green that follows the Grand Union Canal to Campbell Park, returning via Woolstone. All on surfaced paths.
The walk starts at the car park for the Tree Cathedral on Livingstone Drive, Newlands - close to Gulliver's Theme Park and the David Lloyd Sports Centre.
This walk starts and ends at Willen Local Centre (parking). You travel northwards to Tongwell Lake, then westwards to the Grand Union Canal at Giffard Park. Much of the route is southwards alongside the canal until reaching Campbell Park. The route continues southwards beside the canal, leaving the Canal Broadwalk to enter Woolstone in the direction of The Barge pub. It then continues towards the River Ouzel, turning northwards towards Willen Lake and from there back to Willen Local Centre.
A fairly flat route that follows a former railway line, the Grand Union Canal and passes through Stanton Low and Linford Manor Park.
A fairly level Bedfordshire walk starts from Woburn and passes through the extensive grounds of Woburn Abbey to reach Eversholt. The return route includes the opportunity to have lunch in Milton Bryan and a further section of walking through the Abbey's extensive parkland.
This fairly level Bedfordshire walk starts from Woburn and passes through the extensive grounds of Woburn Abbey to reach Eversholt. The return route includes a further section of walking through the Abbey's parkland.
For more walks, use our search engine.
The GPS track and description are the property of the author.